Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th January 2020, 09:20 AM
Friend

Default Multigrade 5

Is the new Multigrade 5 the same speed as the Multigrade 4 , and are their any specific different issues than Multigrade 4.
It appears to be slightly "warmer". ?
Old 30th January 2020, 11:17 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

From the data sheet it is slightly faster than the IV version. Also it is about 1 grade harder from the few sheets I have used so far. Also if using under or above lens filters there is no need to double the exposure time at the higher grades. ISO speed for the old paper is 200 and the new one 240. At the higher grades the speed changes to 220 instead of the 100 of the IV version. Think more like Kentmere VC Select. Apart for the that it is just as easy to use. I recommend downloading the Ilford data sheet that compares the two papers. See: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/f.../product/1706/

Last edited by Bill; 30th January 2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 30th January 2020, 01:09 PM
Friend

Thank you Bill
Old 30th January 2020, 06:28 PM
Friend

Default Mg5

Call me a cynic but this getting back (almost) to what Kentmere used to be like. 1 grade harder and faster speed.
Old 30th January 2020, 07:07 PM
Friend

I was reading Tim Rudman's Toning Book the other day and his comments on MGIV and others' comments that I have read suggest that MGIV was certainly not top of the list for toning.

Apparently Ilford have done something about this in MGV and I'd be interested in how much better it tones compared to MGIV

Mike
Old 31st January 2020, 09:25 AM
Friend

Mike, when you talk about toning I think you need to specify which toners you mean. I have found that MG1V tones very nicely indeed in Fotospeed variable sepia toner. But selenium toner has no effect on it.

Alan
Old 31st January 2020, 11:20 AM
Friend

With all toning the final colour is dependant on the fineness of the grain in the paper emulsion. That's affected by the choice of developer as well as the development time and temperature.

Although it's some years now I always found MGIV toned well however I've never used a commercial toner and there's a greater degree of control by varying the Bleaches and Toners themselves.

Agfa (Orwo) list 4 different Bleaches and 4 different sepia toners so there's quite a range of colours available.

Ian
Old 20th March 2020, 10:31 AM
Friend

Default Mgv

I. have had to buy some more B&W paper and went for the new MGV although version 1V is still available in some places. It has arrived this morning so I will doing a disappearing act into the darkroom this afternoon to try it out.

There is an interesting and informative comparison test on the web (UK website which I cannot remember ) so it should be more realistic than some. The blacks seem to be more intense but still with detail and the white's appear to be much cleaner.

The proof of the pudding so they say……..
Old 20th March 2020, 12:45 PM
Friend

Ilford also recommends 90 seconds in the developer for the new MG V paper, instead of 60 seconds with MG IV.

Have just started to use the paper, I can confirm this.

Terry S

EDIT: Having just read the link given in Bill's post (#2), on page 2 of the link, Ilford still recommend using the developer for 60 seconds (?!?) This is totally different that I've read earlier elsewhere from Ilford (but can't think where?) and my limited use shows me that I DEFINITELY have to give the paper an extra 30 seconds in the developer, giving a time of 90 seconds...

Now I'm slightly confused...?!?

Last edited by Terry S; 20th March 2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 20th March 2020, 02:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Ilford also recommends 90 seconds in the developer for the new MG V paper, instead of 60 seconds with MG IV.

Have just started to use the paper, I can confirm this.

Terry S

...?!?
I always used to over develop anyway That is if you can seriously overdevelop printing paper! It was a matter of course for me to give 90 seconds for MG4 Resin Coated and 2.5 minutes for fibre based.

One of my mentors in the past was a gentleman called Bill Wisden FRPS who was on the RPS distinction panels for more years than he could remember said. "You are paying good well earned money for the silver content of the paper, so developing longer will make good use of it."
After that I always did as suggested. I never have had staining which is supposed to be one of the problems that comes with developing the paper longer than it is intended.

If what I have read is correct, one of the main improvements with MG5 is the emulsion has a higher silver content, so it may well be why the development time should be increased.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies