Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2020, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Yep. No pandemic talk please - quite enough of that around already - lets keep it light
Old 24th March 2020, 07:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Time we got back to happy memories of Izal or I may be forced to try and make that stuff that was called ginger jake in the Prohibition era instead of home made cider.

It sounded innocuous enough and quite appetising, I thought when I first heard about it. A bit like gingerbeer, I thought, until I heard Mr Ness talk about it when uncle Walter Winchell used to introduce Mr Ness' weekly story in the Untouchables

Mike
MY goodness that brings a few memories back 'The Untouchables' I often thought my ex wife was the leading star in that!!
Old 24th March 2020, 10:16 AM
Friend

Default Law Enforcement

https://twitter.com/Chunkz_EN/status...822557697?s=19

Boris catching me going for my fifth jog of the day
Old 24th March 2020, 12:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
MY goodness that brings a few memories back 'The Untouchables' I often thought my ex wife was the leading star in that!!
John I even have an LP on which amongst other tracks is the original Nelson Riddle orchestra recording of the theme music. If I recall correctly the programme was on a Thursday night so a good lead in to Friday and the last day at work. I can still hear Riddle's orchestra in my head. In this country the series was shown in b&w - it was too early for U.K. colour - and all the better for it. That suited the ambience of the programme

Mike
Old 24th March 2020, 12:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
John I even have an LP on which amongst other tracks is the original Nelson Riddle orchestra recording of the theme music. If I recall correctly the programme was on a Thursday night so a good lead in to Friday and the last day at work. I can still hear Riddle's orchestra in my head. In this country the series was shown in b&w - it was too early for U.K. colour - and all the better for it. That suited the ambience of the programme

Mike
I can't remember the music but the programme which was in poor quality (compared to today) B&W. We only has a 14" screen which was one below the largest then available which I think was 17"
We had a neighbour who had a 9" screen which had a fluid filled magnifying lens over the front to make it appear larger. (It failed miserably).
Old 24th March 2020, 01:01 PM
Friend

A totally useless fact for you all.
In the good old days when the butler ironed the newspapers for the master, it was to dry the printers ink, not to take the creases out of the newspaper.
The ink technology wasn't too good in those days.
Theses days the ink is a better composition and dries effectively, that way you do not get black fingermarks when reading the newspaper.
With all talk of cutting up newspapers to hang in the reading room, I shall leave the rest to your imaginations.
Old 24th March 2020, 03:59 PM
Friend

Default Newspaper cuttings

There was a warning from one of the bigger water companies (Possibly United Utilities but cannot be certain) about other things going down the toilet flush including the well known (For those old enough) substitute for modern toilet paper. If a blockage is caused by anything else but poo and toilet paper and it blocks up, they have technology to trace back exactly to the household where it came from. The main culprit seems to be wet wipes, but newspaper is not unknown.

In the 1st instance they would warn only, but for the 2nd and any subsequent problems they would take the householder to court to claim back the cost of the clearing out the pipes.

Now that could be problematical if the house and the one next door had a common outlet into the main sewer pipe. This was not unknown in older houses. The question could be proving who reads the Sun or who reads the Telegraph. Set neighbour against neighbour, nothing like a good neighbour punch up!
Old 24th March 2020, 04:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Now that could be problematical if the house and the one next door had a common outlet into the main sewer pipe. This was not unknown in older houses. The question could be proving who reads the Sun or who reads the Telegraph. Set neighbour against neighbour, nothing like a good neighbour punch up!
Sounds like an idea for a Jimmy McGovern episode for the series "Moving On"

Mike
Old 24th March 2020, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
... Theses days the ink is a better composition and dries effectively, that way you do not get black fingermarks when reading the newspaper. ...
I can just about remember getting blackened fingertips from reading the papers back in the day (our butler was a lazy so-and-so ).
Old 24th March 2020, 05:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
A totally useless fact for you all.
In the good old days when the butler ironed the newspapers for the master, it was to dry the printers ink, not to take the creases out of the newspaper.
Well, I never knew that. I had always assumed it was just because the master was posh and so well off, that he could afford someone to do such menial and seemingly stupid tasks!

I do remember when printers ink changed though in the UK though, but I can't remember which newspaper was the first to use it...? I think it may have been The Times or the new kid on the block at the time, The Independent? Anyone know?

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies