Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th July 2013, 02:53 PM
Friend

Default Projector screens: what are you using?

Up until now I have been using a Hunter Starlight square screen left over from my late Mum's cine days. It's now very old, circa 1959, and yellowing a bit with age and time to start thinking about a new or newer one. It is essential that it comes with a stand and can easily be packed away in a bedroom cupboard away from my wife's smoking.

My thoughts are for something more fitting to the 2:3 ratio 35mm format.

Any advice on this?

Thanks.
Old 28th July 2013, 05:35 PM
Friend

I would think that a square screen would be a better idea so that portrait and landscape pictures could be projected at the same size.

I have not seen new ones advertised for a long time although they must be for digital projectors but I bought a great 60" square screen from Second Hand Darkroom for not a lot of cash some 2 years ago.
Old 28th July 2013, 05:51 PM
Friend

I've got a nice one you are welcome to if you can either pick it up or cover the shipping costs.

I gave the slide projector away a while ago.
Old 28th July 2013, 11:41 PM
Friend

Default Projector screens:

John, thanks for your reply. Perhaps I should have pointed out that I do little colour photography with just two or three slide films a year and usually and out of a hundred shots no more than perhaps one turns out in portrait format. My main passion is monochrome prints, about twelve films annually and this does not cause me any problems.

But this year, things are very different as, I am using up loads of slide film that I have in my freezer that I have been given by people giving up film plus the films I did not use last year through illness and bad weather. Most are Kodak Elite chrome 100 and a few Fuji with still about ten films to go, most with expiry dates of between 12/12 and 3/2013. I have also read the Ilford data sheet on reversal processing and now have some sulphuric acid at the required 10% dilution to do this and I plan to treat a PanF film this way later on in the year. I don't see any reason for me to change from landscape format for this.

This year I am also dabbling with medium format as well in an attempt to gain more experience with a Mamiya 645. I am looking with great interest at another FADU friend who has a 6x4.5cm projector who has yet to try a 120 slide film. I may well go down this route at some future date. One would have to be a contortionist to try portrait format with a Mamiya or lug a heavy tripod about.

Ed, Thanks for your kind offer. PM on it's way soon.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies