Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th March 2009, 12:36 AM
Friend

Default Rene Goebli- Swiss Photographer

I rather like the work of this Swiss photographer. I would also be interested to know how he has managed to get such beautiful grainy images. Any thoughts?

http://www.groebli.com/

Regards Kenneth
Old 30th March 2009, 07:02 AM
Friend

Kenneth,
I have been looking at information about this photographer – some really great atmospheric images.
Not very much about technique is there: it looks like he has used film that has been pushed a ‘lot’!!
Looking at the shadow detail (lack of, very limited tonal variation and that grain!) this would seem to validate my assumption??

Strange that there is so little on the net….

David.
Old 31st March 2009, 04:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud View Post
Kenneth,
I have been looking at information about this photographer – some really great atmospheric images.
Not very much about technique is there: it looks like he has used film that has been pushed a ‘lot’!!
Looking at the shadow detail (lack of, very limited tonal variation and that grain!) this would seem to validate my assumption??

Strange that there is so little on the net….

David.
I wondered if that was how he had achieved such grainy images. It might be worth pushing Tri-X 400 which tends towards a grainy image. What do you think?- I also noticed you have a base in York. Are you planning to be there whilst the Marc Riboud exhibition is running in Leeds?

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/cityMuseum/C...hibitions.aspx

Regards Kenneth
Old 31st March 2009, 09:24 AM
Friend

Kenneth,

I have seen some of Eddie Ephraim’s early work, when he used Kodak T-Max ISO400 35mm film in Rodinal, which has similar qualities to Rene Groebli. But in this case the tonal separation was a good deal better…?, but with in the face grain. Very dramatic given the right subject.

Tri-x is very forgiving in my mind and has changed now from when first released, I think, so maybe not the right choice.

I have pushed Ilford FP4 (not Plus) but the grain structure got a bit clumpy? for want of a better way of putting it (Maybe because I used D76 at the time) No Rodinal.
Used HP5 at 800 then printed on Ilford FB 111 with Dektol, washed, bleached in ferri and redeveloped in the same Dektol.

Marc Riboud exhibition running in Leeds: No not going back to UK until July ‘maybe’ so will miss it.

David.
Old 4th March 2020, 11:00 AM
Friend

An article from the Guardian as there is an exhibition of his work in Zürich until 21/03/2020 and there's a new book available.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ye-in-pictures

Nick
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies