Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th December 2016, 01:01 PM
Friend

Default Causes of Chemical fogging on MG4FB paper ?

Hi All, Does anyone have experience on the causes of chemical fogging on Ilford FB4 Classic or similar paper. I can confirm chemical fogging as the mid grey tone is created without any safelight and in a Nova slot tank level which is under-full by 1/2" leaving a white boarder to the depth of the clip.
Paper stock is taken directly out of the black Bag & Box purchased Nov 2016 and stored below 22degs.
I think that pressure should be placed at Ilford to date their paper stock as Adox do.
Thanking you in anticipation, and a happy new year to all. Hughes

Last edited by Hughes; 30th December 2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 30th December 2016, 01:22 PM
Friend

I use a lot of Ilford's papers, including Classic, and I doubt if your paper is the fault here.

How old are the chemicals in your Nova ? How long have you had your chemicals in stock ? If well used / old I would mix up a fresh batch in trays (if you have them) and test your paper in those. If the result is the same try another paper.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th December 2016, 02:13 PM
Friend

Thank you Neil, The confusion was that my old paper stock prints well in the same chemicals! but I will mix up some new Dectol instead of the concentrate Multigrade.
Old 30th December 2016, 05:01 PM
Friend

Default Causes of chemical fogging

Thanks again Neil, you were right, but the Ilford Multigrade dev Bottle looked new and only opened this month 3/4 full. So its about time Ilford followed their competitors and state the manufacturing date on their products. Their advice is a two year self life which can easily be lost between themselves and their retailers.
Old 30th December 2016, 05:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
Thanks again Neil, you were right, but the Ilford Multigrade dev Bottle looked new and only opened this month 3/4 full. So its about time Ilford followed their competitors and state the manufacturing date on their products. Their advice is a two year self life which can easily be lost between themselves and their retailers.
Hughes,
Good to know you have the issue sorted and can now to get back to making images with confidence.

With a slot processor it is a good idea to test your fixer prior to use in case it has become exhausted, this also can lead to poor print issues. Fixer tester is available or use a scrap of film (or film leader). An exhausted stock paper developer concentrate should look pretty clear if in good condition, if it is heading towards light brown / brown it has probably past its best.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th January 2017, 10:46 AM
Friend

Default Causes of paper developer deteriation

Hi Neal, l feel that one of the main reasons for a developer to deteriate in a slot tank is the temptation or forgetfulness to leave it on; keeping the chemicals at a constant 20 edge when the room temperature drops to 10degs over night. I read that soft working developers do not last as long as others.
I remember our group meeting at Penzance & Bottalick! about 5 yrs ago,
Thanks again, Hughes
Old 4th January 2017, 12:18 PM
Friend

Hughes,

Going from what I remember about achieving a long life from mixed chemicals in a slot processor it should be used regularly and replenished / topped up as you go. Also the chemicals need to be up to the top of the slots, when not in use, so that the floating lids can do their job. Remember mixed chemicals have a much shorter life than that stated for stored concentrates.

I hope you manged to make a few good negs from the West Cornwall gathering ? Was it 5 years ago - time flies ! There has been some off forum chat recently about another Cornwall gathering, hopefully it will happen.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 4th January 2017, 01:05 PM
Friend

Default Print developer monitoring

When leaving the Nova tank for a few hours I put the float tubes in then wrap some cling film (food wrap) over the top of the tank. It is worth keeping an eye on your developer. Make your first print from a new batch of developer and put it to one side with the negative and note all your settings (f stop, exposure time, enlarger height from easel and contrast grade and time print is in the developer). Then after 20 or so prints (or if you notice something doesn't quite look right) make another to match the first print and compare them side by side when dry.
Old 5th January 2017, 03:39 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I have used MG Developer diluted 1+9 for up to 2 months on RC paper in a Nova Slot Processor at 20º C after replenishment and topping up as necessary with occasional use in that time with no obvious problem - degraded blacks or needing prolonged development. For Ilford fixer at 1+9 dilution, I keep a record of the number of 10×8 prints or equivalent I put through and replace it when I have put about 80 equivalents which I have in the past checked with the silver nitrate test solution. This has taken up to a year. No problems that I can see. FB papers may be a different story!
Mike

Last edited by MikeHeller; 5th January 2017 at 03:46 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies