Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th January 2018, 09:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJMan View Post
Hi,

Great idea, bit far but "respect".

I will post elsewhere but I commend the Aire Street Darkroom "rebels" who have got together to create their own darkroom after a Leeds College abandoned the wet process photography classes!

Still open to "newbies", suite of De Vere and other enlargers, tray processing and wet room for washing. Early days for me but the 5 x 4 capacity has me shopping for view cameras!

2 mins walk from Leeds Station: this could be the "George Hotel"* of the analogue fightback in West Yorkshire!

Robert

* Hotel in Huddersfield where the Rugby Football League was born.

More good news, I wish the venture much success

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th January 2018, 09:33 PM
Friend

Dear John, As a film enthusiast and darkroom worker myself I share your thoughts entirely. I recently joined crown monochrome group and as the only analogue presenter my work is applauded, nearly 3D in comparison was one comment. Every Tim Rudman exhibition is over attended by dotty so called photographers, because they cannot match it. Tim says that he thinks digital is just a passing fancy! Sad but one has to tell RPS judges that your work is analogue, few of which have any experience with. Tim Rudman said that he will support reinstating
Accreditation for analogue printing, which I am about to start asking for Is the RPS Analogue group of interest to you?
So much interest in the film look is returning have faith.
Best regards Hughes
Old 20th January 2018, 11:11 PM
Friend

Default RPS Analogue Group

I don't know which 'John' you are referring to but if it is myself I am already a member of the RPS and also of the Analogue Group, although I have yet to attend any of their meetings. Usually because they are just to far away.

If Tim Rudman would support the 'reinstatement'. Or would it be an actual recognition of traditional printing, rather than 'reinstatement' to gain an RPS distinction I would support it without doubt. Way back in 1994 I gained my ARPS, but when was making my mind up to attempt my FRPS some 11-12 years later, it became clear that digital had taken hold and I would be presenting my work within a mixed group of workers on a somewhat uneven playing field. I backed off.

Separating film based imagery from digital would be a step in the right direction, however, I must ask, are there still enough judges, skilled in darkroom printing and who are willing to get involved? It has been a long time since film was King.

I was presented with the book, 'Landscape photographer of the year' this last Christmas and only one of the images presented in the book was created using a camera with film. By golly it was very good, but a bit lonely among the others.

Last edited by John King; 20th January 2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:05 PM
Friend

Perhaps we need to remind ourselves on the real purpose of this thread which is to set up a group of like minded people to meet, view and exchange ideas on analogue photography. Any reference to digital photography, for or against, should form no part of this thread, it's a different process. Is there anybody there who is close enough to NW London for the occasional meeting? DarkroomTed should be applauded for what he is trying to do.

Tony
Old 24th January 2018, 09:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Is there anybody there who is close enough to NW London for the occasional meeting? DarkroomTed should be applauded for what he is trying to do.

Tony
Hi,

Agree with everything BUT we maybe need to (sorry) "think outside the box" here...

Weekend in a tourist resort (Whitby, Suffolk, Flyde coast), blend of web and physical meetings, combined with print exchange, webinars, Skype meetings...

Yes, a group in London. Central London. All the nation can get cheap day returns. But 2 1/2 hours down THEN "bounce" 40 mins out to North London... Oh, and back, then 2 1/2 hours home...

A long day in the City is part of many work lives but not with an additional 1 hr 20 mins on top. My work would pay for a "stop out" with a schedule like that...

Robert
Old 25th January 2018, 12:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Perhaps we need to remind ourselves on the real purpose of this thread which is to set up a group of like minded people to meet, view and exchange ideas on analogue photography. Any reference to digital photography, for or against, should form no part of this thread, it's a different process. Is there anybody there who is close enough to NW London for the occasional meeting? DarkroomTed should be applauded for what he is trying to do.

Tony
As the OP specifically referred to digital photographers in the first post, it's reasonable enough not to exclude their process from this discussion.
Old 25th January 2018, 12:58 AM
Friend

The last few posts has awakened a thought that I realise I had a few days ago and I checked the first post. What I think DarkroomTed said was that he wanted to exclude from the Real Photography Group was digital manipulation in the sense of changing the content of the actual scene taken at the time.

While he may be implying an exclusion of any digital images and I think this is probably the case, he doesn't actually state that straight digital photography per se would be excluded from the group.

Mike
Old 25th January 2018, 09:39 AM
Friend

I don’t think there is sufficient clarity in the original post to be certain what that persons views are. It could be inferred that he dislikes certain aspects of digital photography, but he doesn’t actually say that. It’s hard then to establish if you and he are “like-minded” or not. Given we are now on page 4, I would have thought some clarification may have been forthcoming?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25th January 2018, 02:16 PM
Friend

share and discuss our photographs, our working methods and ideas etc.

[/QUOTE] The reason I like FADU is that you can can do all of the above here on this site. I make the distinction between analog and digital by calling images created on film PHOTOGRAPHS. Images created by digital cameras, DIGITAL IMAGES. To compare and judge both side by side is something I do not do, for me it is either a "PHOTOGRAPH" or it's a "DIGITAL IMAGE".
Old 25th January 2018, 02:52 PM
Friend

I think that is a good distinction, Norm. Unfortunately, it is not widely recognised. The contents of 'Outdoor Photography', 'Practical Photography', Black+White Photography', 'Amateur Photographer' etc are now almost completely digital. Whether we like it or not, the word 'photography', and its derivatives, have been assumed to include digital imagery. The common ground seems to be the use of a camera to create images. I agree 100% with your assessment of FADU and it's value to film-based photography.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies