Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st March 2020, 02:16 PM
Friend

I've just had notice that my pledge has been taken up. I don't know whether anyone else here supported the project: in any case, I'll post here whenever it moves on a bit.

The pandemic could of course slow things up.
Old 31st March 2020, 07:33 PM
Friend

Michael when it does arrive I and I am sure all the rest of us will be interested in its accuracy compared to hand held reflective meters

As I said if the chip is OK and it seems that size and function are not related in micro-chip size then the part that receives the light is certainly larger than my Hannimex meter and maybe not a lot smaller than other handheld meters. Once again I have no idea if there is a size in the light receiving part beyond which, area doesn't matter.

Mike
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:37 AM
Friend

Default Meters

I think I will stick with my Minolta Autometer 3. It has both the incident light attachment and a spot meter attachment. But apart from that it is also very accurate - so why change it.
Old 17th August 2020, 11:45 AM
Friend

My meter arrived this morning and it's going to be pretty handy. All I ordered was just the meter but various accessories are also on the go. I can make sense of the read-out without glasses. Here are some pictures of it sitting on a Leica IIIf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02192.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	3849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02194.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	3850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02196.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	3851   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02197.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	3852  
Old 17th August 2020, 12:07 PM
Friend

Michael it is a neat size and gives a very clear and simple read-out. How does it compare to a small hand-held meter? If it is as accurate then it does square the circle of neatness and accessibility.

It is always there on the camera and staring you in the face as it were which is handy

Mike
Old 21st August 2020, 07:01 AM
Friend

Good Morning Michael-
That does look useful. Small enough to leave in place without being cumbersome.
As some have observed, it won't be as accurate as the TTL Matrix metering in a more modern (Ha!) SLR, and won't do Incident. However, that is missing the point. It will still be considerably more accurate than my best 'sunny 16' guesstimates. It will always be on camera, not left at home in a different camera bag. With practice a user will be able to apply their own weighting to a reading just by tilting the camera when metering, and the display will be easy to read even in poor light.
All in all, a useful little tool.

Nice Leica, by the way.
Old 21st August 2020, 08:30 AM
Friend

Colin, all points taken and basically agreed with (though my relationship with that Leica is emotional rather than rational).

I have now "tested" the meter in use with both FP4+ and PanF+ and find it very practical so far. It is fine on that Leica IIIf but, on a Leica II that I also have, its bottom edge butts slightly on the camera's shutter speed selector. Never mind that: the negatives are correctly exposed.

Finally, just to show that it's not just a toy and that there's been thought behind its development, here's a link to the user manual.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies