Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2011, 12:59 AM
Friend

Thumbs up Inexpensive red safelights

Or . . . "in the red AND in the black"!

Until a few weeks ago, Pavel and I were using the amber safelights we got with some of the other equipment we obtained when we set up our darkroom. However, we recently purchased some papers that require red, so we were in the market for some inexpensive red safelights. We found at Lowe's, a hardware chain here in the states, some red LED lights by Sylvania for only a few dollars each. They have a spectral transmission of around 620, with a very narrow spike, and at 1, 1.5, and 2 watts, they produce the illumination of about 40 watts of incandescent light.

We tested these lights at one meter for eleven minutes on two different papers. The results? Not a hint of fogging!

We are absolutely delighted with the results. We can now use the new papers, and we feel as though we are walking around in daylight in the darkroom that now glows red.

If you're in the market for safelights, I hope this information helps you--and saves you a few dollars or pounds or euros.
Old 28th January 2011, 08:30 AM
Friend

Can you provide a link or part number, they sound interesting.
Old 28th January 2011, 11:45 AM
Friend

I've been using two of these Red GU10 LED bulbs in my new darkroom without any problems at all.
Old 28th January 2011, 05:39 PM
Friend

Sounds very interesting. Given that most incandescent safelights are restricted to 15W plus a filter over them then the equivalent of 40W must be much brighter. Presumably as the LEDs are already red then no further filtration is required?

To what do you fit the LEDs? Are there special fittings as they seem to have two threaded prongs.

They look to be good value as well. Secondhand Paterson lights seem to fetch at least £10-12 and may have worn filters. With better lamps like the Ilford 902 the sky seems to be the limit on e-bay.

I noticed in Brian's link there are amber LEDs as well. I wonder if these also work with Ilford/Kentmere/Fotospeed MG paper? I prefer an amber light which the 902 is.

Mike
Old 28th January 2011, 06:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Sounds very interesting. Given that most incandescent safelights are restricted to 15W plus a filter over them then the equivalent of 40W must be much brighter. Presumably as the LEDs are already red then no further filtration is required?

To what do you fit the LEDs? Are there special fittings as they seem to have two threaded prongs.

They look to be good value as well. Secondhand Paterson lights seem to fetch at least £10-12 and may have worn filters. With better lamps like the Ilford 902 the sky seems to be the limit on e-bay.

I noticed in Brian's link there are amber LEDs as well. I wonder if these also work with Ilford/Kentmere/Fotospeed MG paper? I prefer an amber light which the 902 is.

Mike
This sort of fitting HERE.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:03 PM
Friend

Dave, the product numbers are 78508 for the 1.5-watt bulb, which has a regular light bulb base; and 78517 for the 1-watt bulb with a candelabra base. As for the price, at Lowe's we got these for around $4 on sale (regular price $7.98), but online the price is $21!

Mike, these are regular light-bulb bases, and no filtration is required for the red LEDs. (They also come in amber, which we tested as well.)
Old 28th January 2011, 09:19 PM
Friend

This is a very interesting thread. I use an Ilford amber safelight and so far have never run into any kind of problem. I intend to change paper type soon so will watch this with great interest.
Old 29th January 2011, 08:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiB View Post
Dave, the product numbers are 78508 for the 1.5-watt bulb, which has a regular light bulb base; and 78517 for the 1-watt bulb with a candelabra base. As for the price, at Lowe's we got these for around $4 on sale (regular price $7.98), but online the price is $21!

Mike, these are regular light-bulb bases, and no filtration is required for the red LEDs. (They also come in amber, which we tested as well.)
Thanks for the information, Generally here in England these things seem only to come with with a GU10 base although I will be happy to be shown otherwise.
Old 29th January 2011, 09:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

Mike
The fittings I used cost about £5 from Wilkinson, however, whatever the price I could only find fittings that required the cable to enter from underneath. This is not a problem when fitting the unit to a ceiling, but is more of a problem when wall mounting the unit. I mounted the light fitting on an electrical back box with a blanking plate fitted. All I did then was drill holes in the blanking plate for the cable and fixings.

In use, the red LED is quite bright, I don't believe there is any need for the amber LED, indeed I have tried out the amber LED and wasn't as keen on it: it was too bright and I was worried about fogging on some on my more red sensitive papers.

The only drawback I've found with these lights so far is that I sometimes need to turn them off in order to focus/compose the image under the enlarger.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Old 30th January 2011, 12:29 AM
Friend

I'm certainly no expert on electrical fixtures in the UK! Perhaps this adapter would work? http://www.goldengadgets.com/e27-scr...t-adapter.html
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies