Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd November 2012, 11:08 AM
Friend

A book in a limited run may serve only to feed our own egos. An exhibition in a place where you may get passing visitors would seem a better way of spreading the darkroom gospel. You could combine the two and let people at the exhibition know there is a book available on Blurb?

Martin
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:30 PM
Friend

How about a book coupled to an on-line exhibition?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd November 2012, 02:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
How about a book coupled to an on-line exhibition?

Neil.
Every month on the print exchange we read comments about scans not matching original prints - I think an exhibition of originals is the only way of really getting across how much better a darkroom print can be than a digitally produced one.
Old 23rd November 2012, 02:21 PM
Friend

I would be happy to support, I would have to send prints. As I STILL do not have a scanner.
Old 23rd November 2012, 03:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWaller View Post
Every month on the print exchange we read comments about scans not matching original prints - I think an exhibition of originals is the only way of really getting across how much better a darkroom print can be than a digitally produced one.

This is very true but the likelihood of another FADU exhibition is extremely remote. Unless someone can come up with a suitable location that is free of charge and are prepared to undertake a huge amount of work.

A Blurb type book can be done but from what I have seen of the software a fair bit of time / work is still required. So with Xpres's offer it seems we can have a book - but how many will actually see it? This is the main thing that bothers me.

Both the London Salon and the Cotswold Salon ( and others I would guess) annually show their exhibition on online for those who cannot get along to the exhibition venues. I personally find this a useful feature as I am unable to travel to see the exhibitions. Also this practice ensures the images do get seen by a world-wide audience.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
but how many will actually see it? This is the main thing that bothers me.
There will be stats of how many books have been sold from previous year books which should indicate whether its a worthwhile exercise for the future.

As to website, a year book website could easily be setup using clikpic.com with each exhibitor paying a portion of cost and taking a 3 year subscription is only £105. So if 21 people contribute its only £5 each for 3 years and it offers online selling. Now who has a clikpic website that knows how to use it I wonder?

And of course the clikpic site could promote the yearbook too so anyone liking the yearbook site can buy a copy.
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
There will be stats of how many books have been sold from previous year books which should indicate whether its a worthwhile exercise for the future.

As to website, a year book website could easily be setup using clikpic.com with each exhibitor paying a portion of cost and taking a 3 year subscription is only £105. So if 21 people contribute its only £5 each for 3 years and it offers online selling. Now who has a clikpic website that knows how to use it I wonder?

And of course the clikpic site could promote the yearbook too so anyone liking the yearbook site can buy a copy.

I have had a clikpic web site for a number of years and I know how to use it, I also agree it could be done that way if the subs came in OK. But a good slot of time would be required to put something decent together.

I tried to find out how many FADU blurb books were sold (for each year) but never found out. An estimate could be made by counting how many annouced on FADU that they had ordered / recieved a book. From what I remember - no more than 40 and more likely a tad less.I did briefly consider taking over the book after Dave announced he would not produce another but the amount of work involved for so few books did not seem worthwhile.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd November 2012, 05:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
I have had a clikpic web site for a number of years and I know how to use it, I also agree it could be done that way if the subs came in OK. But a good slot of time would be required to put something decent together.

I tried to find out how many FADU blurb books were sold (for each year) but never found out. An estimate could be made by counting how many annouced on FADU that they had ordered / recieved a book. From what I remember - no more than 40 and more likely a tad less.I did briefly consider taking over the book after Dave announced he would not produce another but the amount of work involved for so few books did not seem worthwhile.

Neil.
Well I rekon that it would only be some work for the first year you do it. For subsequent years just set up a new one which could be copied from first one and change the images. i.e. get clikpic to duplicate the site and work it from there.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:29 PM
Friend

Or you could just renew for next 3 years and add following years images. So I don't think its a huge amount of work and its very cheap, especially so for subsequent years if you do it that way.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:34 PM
Friend

The book could just as easily be viewed as a pdf directly from FADU so could be read and downloaded without buying, perhaps tempting more to buy the hi res printed version or even come along to see the originals on show somewhere... one day.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies