Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2019, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default Differences Between Developers?

I have settled on HP5, always used HP4 and FP4

What I have never really bothered about was the developers

I used, and liked Paterson Aculux range.

However now that I have returned, and started off with Ilford film developer, had to start somewhere, Ilfosol 3, and have been advised that next I try Rodanol ? by members here I will.

But................. way back and now people discuss fine grain developers.

I thought that the film speed determined the grain, we all know faster means more pronounced grain, so how can one developer be any different to another on say HP5 ?

Thanks

Old 28th October 2019, 04:36 PM
Friend

Hi Cannic, much as I love RO(/Rodinal I could not suggest it for HP5+. it doesn't work well with that film, either you need to develop for longer than suggested to get any kind of reasonable negative or you will need to put up with very thin negatives, and this is from someone who has used Rodinal for around 60 years as my main developer, I would suggest ID11 or D76, both essinetialy the same developer, and look up on Ilford's website the instruction sheet for powder developers, use it at stock, for 1 liter develpp the first film at the suggested time, then add 10.20,30% to the time for each following film up to the tenth film and 90% increse, then throw away the developer and mix fresh, it works very well, gives beautiful negatives and is the most ecconimacol way of using the developer, I have at times used this developer and follow the above instructions for either D76, which is a little cheaper than ID11, or ID11, The other great developer I am told is Xtol, Rodinal works fine for most films but one or two just fail in it
Richard
Old 29th October 2019, 06:54 AM
Banned

Bought this in error is this ok then, I would never have bought a powder except in error

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191029_075322462[1].jpg
Views:	281
Size:	886.6 KB
ID:	3453  
Old 29th October 2019, 07:05 AM
Friend

I have never used Microphen, it is a speed increasing developer, as far as I know it is not a fine grain developer, you would be better of getting some ID11 or D76, D76 in particuler is cheap enough, You can use Microphen, but afik it will increase grain
Richard
Old 29th October 2019, 08:08 AM
Friend

Microphen is a good developer. I'd not worry too much, at least you should get full film speed / good shadow detail.
Old 29th October 2019, 08:15 AM
Friend

I mainly use HP5+ and FP4+ I have always had excellent results with ID-11, and more recently have been very happy using Xtol.
Old 29th October 2019, 09:22 AM
Friend

You can use Hp5 at EI500 with Microphen useful in low light, my personal choice for Hp5+ with roll film would be ID11/D76. A good all round developer with a film that is very tolerant of over exposure and slight under exposure. A good choice if you are taking photographs infrequently and not using up a whole film in one go in light that does not variey to much. Keep asking questions you will always get sound advice on this forum.
Old 29th October 2019, 10:10 AM
Banned

Thanks so ID11 when I get low

Old 29th October 2019, 06:12 PM
Friend

Microphen is actually a fine grain developer. It gives very good results with HP5, and can be used where the film has been pushed to a higher speed. Grain remains well controlled at 800 and 1600. I use it from time to time, both for exposures at the recommended film speed, and for increased speeds. ID11 is, however, a bit more economical, and capable of superb results, also at normal or increased film speeds. I doubt that anyone would be disappointed using either in combination with HP5.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 30th October 2019, 08:05 AM
Banned

Thanks all, I will use powder in future also

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies