Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th September 2021, 09:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Bleach is also very good for cleaning the developing slot so long as you are not in a hurry. The last time I used it I filled a 50/50 solution and left it for a week when I was away in Europe in June 1919 (Seems like a lifetime a ago now!)
But when I came back the slot was a lot cleaner than I left it. IOt needs doing again.

Bleach does loose it chemical activity after a short while so perhaps once every 3 months is a good interval.
Chlorine bleach can be destructive. I have access to strong sodium hypochlorite solution, used for swimming pools, and once I had a melamine kitchen spoon that was stained, so I put it in a fairly strong solution and it went black and disintegrated. I know that melamine is quite different to most other plastics but I now approach hypochlorite with respect. If I were to damage my Nova I'd be lost!

1919 was quite a long time ago.
Old 29th September 2021, 12:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Terry

There is a note at the bottom of page two on the Nova Instruction Sheet... The last paragraph, page two.

Mentions a spoon full of bleach in each water slot to prevent the build up of algae.
Thanks Nat, but I was more worried about the legionnaires rather than just algae, which in my mind should be pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Bleach is also very good for cleaning the developing slot... The last time I used it I filled a 50/50 solution and left it for a week when I was away in Europe in June 1919 (Seems like a lifetime a ago now!)
Doing it back in '1919' is more than a lifetime for many John.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies