Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd December 2009, 09:21 AM
Friend

Default Red filter with snow

I've seen the very interesting Michael Kenna's video thanks to the link posted by Bob long ago but that I noticed only yesterday in the Art & Aesthetic section of the Forum.

I was surprised to see that M. Kenna uses a red filter to photograph snow landscapes on cloudy, actually snowing days. I'm puzzled, never thought that it is beneficial. Sometimes with snow on sunny days I used a yellow filter to counterbalance the blue hue reflected in shadows, but never a red filter.
Am I missing something?

Giuseppe
Old 22nd December 2009, 09:40 AM
Friend

I'm with you on the use of a yellow filter, I assume that the use of red will enhance the contrast further.
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:00 AM
Friend

On the odd times I have photographed snow I have always tended to use a yellow filter, infact I tend to use a yellow filter for 90% of my landscape/seascape photographs,using an orange if I feel I need more contrast, and shy away from a red filter,Richard
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:08 AM
Friend

I would have thought the use of the red filter will darken any blue hues in shadows on sunny days, as well as darlening blue skies of course - thus increasing contrast.
On cloudy days though, not sure what the reasoning is either

Andrew
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bartram View Post
I would have thought the use of the red filter will darken any blue hues in shadows on sunny days, as well as darlening blue skies of course - thus increasing contrast.
On cloudy days though, not sure what the reasoning is either

Andrew
I think the idea is to increase contrast.
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:26 PM
Friend

So, with less blue light around - on cloudy days - the red filter is used to make the most of what there is? - where as a yellow filter would have a less pronounced effect
Old 22nd December 2009, 07:54 PM
Friend

A filter lightens it's own colour, and darkens it's opposite. The opposite colour to red on the colour wheel is blue. On a very contrasty day the shadows (which comprise predominately blue light) will darken appreciably ( quite often producing 'black holes') On a 'flat' day there are still shadow areas, albeit not very pronounced, and they still contain blue light. A red filter, although likely to kill a photograph on a bright day, will maximise what ever contrast there is on a cloudy day. Without it, you'll end up with a flat
image, and wonder what went wrong...
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hogan View Post
A filter lightens it's own colour, and darkens it's opposite. The opposite colour to red on the colour wheel is blue. On a very contrasty day the shadows (which comprise predominately blue light) will darken appreciably ( quite often producing 'black holes') On a 'flat' day there are still shadow areas, albeit not very pronounced, and they still contain blue light. A red filter, although likely to kill a photograph on a bright day, will maximise what ever contrast there is on a cloudy day. Without it, you'll end up with a flat
Very interesting, thanks for posting that.
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
I've seen the very interesting Michael Kenna's video thanks to the link posted by Bob long ago but that I noticed only yesterday in the Art & Aesthetic section of the Forum.

I was surprised to see that M. Kenna uses a red filter to photograph snow landscapes on cloudy, actually snowing days. I'm puzzled, never thought that it is beneficial. Sometimes with snow on sunny days I used a yellow filter to counterbalance the blue hue reflected in shadows, but never a red filter.
Am I missing something?

Giuseppe
I used to use a red filter regularly in snow in alpine regions to good effect and funnily enough I used one the other day when in fresh snow conditions and bright sky, locally

Regards Kenneth
Old 23rd December 2009, 04:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hogan View Post
That's what I said....but not so well as Peter
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies