Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th December 2012, 04:17 PM
Friend

Default Mamiya 645 1000s shutter problem?

Anyone out there with one of these cameras who has experience of problems with the shutter not firing?

Have just had a blank film back from C41 processing. I can see the Kodak data on the film edge margin, indicating to me a camera fault, and yes there was a new battery in the camera still giving 6.1V on todays multimeter reading. I do use a prism viewfinder and there are no problems with the meter readings. There is the usual click when the shutter is fired or double slick on brief time. Previous films have been OK.

I think it best to ask before I start to make enquiries from repairers, just incase I have missed the obvious as I have little experience with this camera.

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2012, 06:08 PM
Friend

You didn't do something really daft and load the film with the paper pointing out by any chance? Not that i've done that before, honest, well, maybe once ;-)
Old 5th December 2012, 07:06 PM
Friend

I do have an exposed roll of Pan F in the fridge that I took before the blank colour film. I completely forgot about this. I was saving it up until I had enough films ready for a session where I can use up a litre of stock developer in one hit. I will have a session tonight and post an update as soon as the film is off the spiral.
Old 5th December 2012, 11:20 PM
Friend

Default Mamiya 645 1000s Shutter problem?

On the film developed tonight, the last two frames are blank. The last half of this film were all taken on the same day, so I can't think of as reason why they should not really come out. The camera was not dropped or suffered any ill treatment.
Old 6th December 2012, 06:54 AM
Friend

Sounds like you do have a shutter failure. The only other thing to check is that the aperture blades on the lens aren't stopping all the way down and giving you f/32 shots all the time.

Hopefully nothing too serious, but it may not be economic to fix. Looking on eBay you seem to be able to get a 1000s for 60-80 when them come up as body only.

Best of luck
Old 6th December 2012, 04:55 PM
Friend

A shutter malfunction is not all that uncommon. These cameras will be getting on for at least 25 yrs old now and they will need a good bit of care to keep them running.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:46 PM
Friend

I DON'T recommend the Importers for servicing/repair and I'm not sure who's the best alternative in the UK.

I had issues with the shutter on my 1000S and the flash synch was faulty. It came back with the same faults, and was returned to them, when I got it back again the shutter fault was still there (I don't get the full 4.5 part of the frame - one edge is clipped) and the prism had been chipped internally. It was taken in and collected so it wasn't damaged in transit.

On another occassion the same Importer's service department changed the aperture blades on a Tamron 17mm lens and it came back almost unusable optically.

So good luck getting it fixed.

Ian
Old 28th January 2013, 08:23 AM
Friend

Default Mamiya 645 1000s shutter problems.

Have now developed my first film after I cleaned out the shutter and it's working again.

There were torn bits of film backing paper and debris in the mechanism and the camera is now working well and with both prism and WLF finders.

I did notice edge creasing on one roll of film I developed previously, but not tears so this must be from a previous owner. This was not evident when I first got the camera.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies