Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th July 2014, 11:35 PM
Friend

Default Variable Neutral Density Filter

Hi everyone,
I have the intention of buying neutral density filters. I don't know which one to buy in terms of strength and I don't want to carry multiple filters. So I was wondering if anyone has ever try a Variable Neutral Density filter like those that allows you to go from 2 stops to 8. Are they good? I do black and white at 99%, sometimes color.
Thank you for your comments
Jacques
Old 25th July 2014, 12:07 AM
Friend

I assume you mean circular filters with a rotating outer glass. I've never used one and probably wouldn't. That's 4 glass surfaces infront of your lens which just can't be good for image quality, especially if it isn't of the very highest quality glass and coatings.

Most people are trying to get more light and not less.

I'd use slower film instead. But I guess if you want to travel light then you can but try one out. You won't know if its any good until you do.
Old 25th July 2014, 12:36 AM
Friend

That's a good point. I never taught about the 4 glass surfaces.
Old 25th July 2014, 07:19 AM
Friend

Guessing you want to make long exposures for whatever reason?
If you're shooting black and white you can also 'stack' your existing colour contrast filters.
I did some long exposure seascapes, and used a Red (3 stops) plus ND (another 3). Yes, more glass surfaces but unavoidable unless you buy a very dark ND. How often will you use it?
If stacking filters watch the corners for vignetting. Small apertures help.
Old 25th July 2014, 02:54 PM
Friend

I use a Hoya 3 stop ND for slowing things down, like moving water. If your basic film is 100asa, the filter gets you to the equivalent of 12asa. You could try metering some typical scenes where you would expect to use the filter to see if a 3 stop difference would be enough. They tend to come in 1, 2 and 3 stop values, and then jump to 10 stops (quite expensive!). The Hoya is good quality and quite a reasonable price.
Alex.
Old 25th July 2014, 03:42 PM
Friend

And don't forget about metering. If you aren't using through the lens metering then how will you know what ND value is at any setting of the filter? Does it tell you from markings on it? Worth checking before you buy one.
Old 25th July 2014, 04:52 PM
Friend

They have their uses and do provided (to me) acceptable results. Obviously if you want the best go for the 8 + stops single filter from a marque manufacturer.

The main advantages for the variable ND are:

Cheap to buy - especially for lenses that take a large diameter filter

You only need one filter to cover several ND values

TTL viewing can be done on the lowest ND setting - saves removing filter to compose

Some disadvantages would be:

The ND values are marked on the filter but they may not be exact

The claimed max ND is typically 8 stops whereas marque single ND value filters will give you more

An extra piece of glass in front of your lens (assuming the alternative would be a single value ND filter) - this doesn't worry me but it may be a concern to you

Summing up I would say if you are on tight budget and want to do some 8 stop ND work buy one as it is better to have one than not and to miss out on getting creative. Or if you want to travel light with the minimum of equipment - again get one as they are affordable.

I use both types and I'm not really bothered if I am shooting through one of these of my Hoya 9 stop ND.

With metering I would always recommend using an accurate hand held meter and making the exposure adjustments yourself - not forgetting to add the reciprocity factor for the film you are using. With a small fstop in use you will be in for some seriously long exposures

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 25th July 2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 26th July 2014, 12:39 PM
Friend

Thank you all for your comments. Maybe I should have mention that I use 5x4 and that I have a Pentax Digital Spotmeter for the reading. Now with your comments I just have to decide which one to buy, a variable or one that has only one settings.
Thank you Jacques
Old 26th July 2014, 01:11 PM
Friend

I suppose that with a spot meter it should be easy to calibrate and mark the density/factor settings on the filter rim if it's not already there.
Old 26th July 2014, 01:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
I suppose that with a spot meter it should be easy to calibrate and mark the density/factor settings on the filter rim if it's not already there.

There is usually an index of sorts on the rim of variable NDs but from my experience this may not be exact. But as you say - it's easy to do your own calibrations.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies