Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2018, 09:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Search for 'Luminosity' in this forum and you will read of many discussions on the meaning. So what does it mean?
I use it to mean a brightness in the image that you do not get with ink. as defined partly by the dictionary.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:53 AM
Friend

The only advantage I can see with digital is that I instantly send an image over the interweb with my blue teeth.
Old 10th March 2018, 01:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
In comparison, a mono print from a scanned B&W negative is flat with little depth of tone, with weak shadows that block up at the blink of an eye.
In all fairness, this is down to the skill of the individual's editing.

Quote:
Then there is the matter of colour bias in the inkjet print, even from an Epson P600 with the setting intended to print a neural toned image! For all the cost of the P600, I am very disappointed.
The Colour bias is inherant from the carbon in the black inks which has always been an issue.
Having said that, since I have started to use QTR I am seeing much more neutral prints and even when compared to the same print made with the ImagePrint RIP there is very little difference.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:04 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouleur View Post
The only advantage I can see with digital is that I instantly send an image over the interweb with my blue teeth.
I sent a similar image to my dentist. I am booked-in for a course of teeth whitening

Mike
Old 28th March 2018, 12:16 PM
Friend

I give my inkjet prints to a charity I’m an advisor for to sell to raise money, and they have been far from unsuccessful. With my landscapes I do get some satisfaction from the finished product, usually when I’ve done minimal editing. I can’t print colour or 120 as yet, but I’ve got half an eye out for a 120 head, so they have to be scanned in to my computer. However, nothing gives me the personal satisfaction of a darkroom print, especially as I’m learning so much every day. Even what many might consider mundane activities like dodging and burning give me great pleasure. It’s my sister's 60th in May (I have no idea how that happened) and as part of her present I’m giving her a sepia image of herself and her husband she can hang with images of our great grandparents and my grandmother and grandad's wedding nearly 100 years ago. I genuinely feel like I’m "making" an image in the darkroom. Inkjet printing never gives me that, and if people think it’s inkjet so be it, but I will know and I hope any photographers that see it. We photographers notice details others don’t, so to us inkjet prints are inferior but unfortunately the general public don’t see that.
Old 28th March 2018, 01:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
We photographers notice details others don’t, so to us inkjet prints are inferior but unfortunately the general public don’t see that.
I think inferior is a little strong as some of the prints on my wall which I have done are excellent for an inkjet printer. Great DMAX and tonal separation.
Old 28th March 2018, 09:28 PM
Friend

Lightbulb Images First...

Hi,

My choice is to develop skills in analogue to produce "fine prints".

I have seen "fine prints" done digital, hybrid and analogue...

Unless the images are shown side by side, different process, test conditions I can't see how the less rich, detailed tones will be seen.

Yes, I think analogue will be better but not if the image maker never went out of the door to shoot 'cos she/he didn't have the "right" kit/skills/camera format/Apple Mac.

Hope my (our) preferences for the "full monty" of wholly analogue, neg and print doesn't put others off..

But this IS the Film AND Darkroom User Group.

Robert
Old 29th March 2018, 07:23 AM
Friend

I’ve seen very good examples of the same negative scanned and printed digitally and then darkroom printed. I looked at them side by side - no discernible difference. That was with a P600. Think of the time and effort (and paper, chemicals etc) to produce a decent darkroom print. Why should learning a new skill such as digitally producing a print be any less time - and money - consuming? Anyway, as was rightly said above this is FADU so back to the darkroom. I’ll get me lab coat on the way out! 😉

Tony
Old 31st March 2018, 09:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbarber View Post
I think inferior is a little strong as some of the prints on my wall which I have done are excellent for an inkjet printer. Great DMAX and tonal separation.
As with all things photographic, appraisal of any results are purely subjective.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies