Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2019, 07:59 AM
Friend

Barry, I don’t know which version camera and back you have, so please forgive me if I state the obvious. I presume you have followed the instructions for loading the backs, such as the one linked below, which I know from experience are not altogether intuitive?

http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pd...per_rollex.pdf

Other manuals

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/large_format.htm

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th March 2019, 11:31 AM
Friend

Default Linhof Super Technika 6x9

Marty,many thanks for your reply.Linhof tell me my camera is a Mk 111 made in 1952,with which I use a Rollex (knob wind) rollfilm holder.I have a Linhof book and I have followed the instructions for film loading to the best of my knowledge.However I am a bit unsure if I should be using the darkslide in between taking photos unless of course I remove the lens board or the rollfilm back.Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Old 13th March 2019, 05:20 PM
Friend

If you're happy that there is no risk of light leak then there no urgency to replace the darkslide. However it may depend on the weather and length of time the darkslide is removed for. As well as throwing up the question of where to put the darkslide so that you don't loose or bend it!

Something I have tried with a few backs is to re-roll the backing paper onto an empty spool and to put it through the back. Do it without the darkslide and mark the paper on each side as if exposed. Then review the results.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 15th March 2019, 06:19 PM
Friend

Default Linhof Super Technika 6x9

Marty,thanks for your reply. I did try your suggestion and ran the backing roll through the rollfilm holder off the camera and marked each frame as it was shown in the frame counter.The result was 8 frames slightly reducing in size as the roll progressed.However since your last reply I have run 2 more films through after very careful loading and keeping the darkslide in place whenever possible and I have 8 frames on each film.The detail on each frame are very good but I did notice the slow speeds on the lens being inaccurate which has resulted in overexposure on some of the frames.I did use a faster film the second time which has helped this problem but I have now found a company nearby who are able to service the lens and actually still have some spares for this lens which is now at least 67 years old. I said earlier that I had this camera for several years without using it.Maybe using it in the last few days has enabled me to become more conversant with its controls.Many thanks for all your help.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:42 PM
Friend

Great result!

Hopefully your lens won't be too expensive to repair and personally I find a 65mm focal length an ideal wide angle lens for 6x9cms.

- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies