Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th August 2011, 11:44 AM
Friend

Default Contact Printing Frames

Hi all,
does anyone know of a UK sourse of Wooden Contact Printing Frames? There are some nice ones out there (Bostick-Sullivan, Lotus, Ebony etc.), but i'd rather source one in the UK if possible...alternatively has anyone had any made recently by a skilled joiner/ carpenter?

Many Thanks,
Matthew.
Old 5th August 2011, 02:36 PM
Friend

The ready made frames can be quite expensive (but extremely well made) so might be worth trying to make your own. http://www.alternativephotography.co...ct-print-frame

I bought my 2nd hand 10x8 frame from the States for about £60. Will try and dig it out and takes some pics.

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 5th August 2011, 02:39 PM
Friend

Ebay? does it have to be wood? I got mine, which is a paterson clone, off the bay for a fiver. If you need one with a split back this is not the route.
Old 5th August 2011, 06:35 PM
Friend

Linhoff Studios list them on their web site, but quite expensive. I needed a large one for use under an enlarger. I found it easy to make with a sheet of 1/4 inch glass, a piano hinge araldated to one edge and then screwed onto a wooden back, using foam to cover the back to get good compression when closed. A couple of metal swivels were used to secure the frame tight shut. Works fine for me when preparing 10 x 8 contact prints.
Old 5th August 2011, 07:05 PM
Friend

I've got a Lotus 10x12 printing frame (expensive) which I purchased from Linhof Studio; nicely made, very robust, so much so that the springs (bars) on the back were too strong so I fashioned my own out of thick brass strip. I'm getting a bit 'weedy' in my old age

Sadly it seems all British made contact frame makers have gone away
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 5th August 2011, 09:55 PM
Friend

Nigel Dear used to list them. Maybe Martin Reed will see this thread and know something.

My 5x4 frame was sold to me on eBay as a "camera back".
Old 5th August 2011, 10:12 PM
Friend

Fotospeed do a 16x12 double hinged one for around £55.
paddy
Old 6th August 2011, 11:48 AM
Friend

I have a Johnson Plastic Printing Frame 2 1/2inches by 3 1/2 inches which you are welcome to, it is still in its original box. If it is any good to you PM me your address and I will post it.

Tony
Old 6th August 2011, 12:10 PM
Friend

Somewhat outside the UK ;-) but Doug Kennedy produces great frames at reasonable prices. I have 11X14 & 8X20 frames from him that are a pleasure to work with.
Doug Kennedy
PO Box 3433
Lake City, CA 96115
530-279-6228
dbkennedy@frontiernet.net
Old 7th August 2011, 08:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Nigel Dear used to list them. Maybe Martin Reed will see this thread and know something.
I haven't got the stomach for this particular fight any more. In the past we tried many times to get a regular well made & reasonably economical printing frame going & it always came to grief. The potential sales are never enough to push down the unit cost to what the majority would consider acceptable, so the project always gets left high & dry.

The Lotus frames are very good, & it is after all a one-off purchase, so I reckon grit your teeth, open your wallet & say 'help yourself!'
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies