Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
The Neretta
A 4x5 Point & Shoot
Sandeha Lynch
7th November 2008
Over the past couple of years I have probably spent as much time fiddling with the mechanics of cameras as actually shooting. I get into obsessions about what should be possible, work on it, test it, and before long get fired up by something else. The Neretta is a product of this process.
By Dave miller on 15th September 2009, 06:30 PM

Alan, how well does the 121mm Super Angulon cover 10x8, what do you have to stop it down to?
By Alan Clark on 15th September 2009, 07:01 PM

Dave,
First I put the 121mm Super Angulon on my regular 5 x 4 camera-also home made - opened the lens to full aperture, focussed on infinity, stopped down to f45 then extended the bellows until it was just holding on infinity. Then I measured the front to back distance that I would need to make the box camera. At this hyperfocal distance the lens was actually focussed ( at full aperture ) on 8 feet. So I get everything from infinity to 4 feet in sharp focus.

(This was the sequence that I had previously gone through to make my 5 x 4 box camera with 90mm lens.)

Before I made the posh version of my 10 x 8 I made a mock-up and used 10 x 8 Mgd 4 RC paper to test it. The lens didn't quite cover 10 x 8. There was some fall-off of light towards the corners, and the last inch in each corner was blank. But when I made the final version of the camera, and tested it with film there was full coverage right to the corners, and no fall-off!
I can't explain this!
So far I have only exposed one sheet of film, so things may change.

Sandeha,
Thanks for the information. I can see the clip. My cameras have simple locking strips, and ground glass for composing the image.

Alan
By Dave miller on 16th September 2009, 05:52 AM

If it's any help the coverage (image circle) for your lens is quoted as 288mm @f22 @infinity on a chart I have, and I understand that you need 312mm for 10x8. However if you either stop down, or focus closer than infinity the image circle given by your lens will be greater. The image circle doesn't have a sharp cut off, so at the worst you can expect some vignetting of the corners.
By richardG on 24th February 2010, 01:39 PM
Default plans for neretta

hello

i'm new to the forum having only just discovered it. i make and use 5x4 cameras - a bullodg adn a bender so far.

interested in your device

if you could send instructions i would be very grateful

thanks

richard
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search