Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2018, 09:10 PM
Friend

Missed FADU, thought my PC was broken

Barry - thank you so much for looking after us here on FADU

Ian
Old 24th September 2018, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Since we all presumably have e-mail addresses, it might be simplest for one of the FADU organisers to have access to them.

I admit that, during the down time, I hoped that it wouldn't be permanent enough to ruin the Cornish venture (all the very best for that, by the way).
Barry and I do have access to email adresses if we need them, but guess where they are stored . If the site is down like it was at the weekend (why do these things always happen on a Friday evening?!) we can't get in either.

We were thinking of a Whatsapp group - that has the advantage of no advertising and no personal details required. Just say NO to anything that looks like a request for your info (I think it asks to access your phone's Contacts so it can find other people you already know on whatsapp, but you can always tell it no - it will also want to link with facebook, twitter & instragram etc if you are already on those). Mainly intended to round up stragglers during the Cornwall meetup (assuming there is mobile coverage) - but possibly for wider FADU use afterwards?

Cheers, Bob.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:41 AM
Friend

Glad its back up, I do visit most days and wondered what had happened
Old 25th September 2018, 08:54 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I personally would not want to join a Watsapp group - it is owned by Facebook is it not - although my family use it successfully and have tried to persuade me to join. Also I do not have one of those all dancing and singing mobiles, so that it wouldn't be much use away from home.
Mike
Old 25th September 2018, 12:25 PM
Friend

Certainly my feeling about Whatsapp is much the same as Facebook and I don't have a mobile. If I were to be in Cornwall and get lost from the group I'd have to wander the moors like the ghost of Carver Doone and yes, I realise that was Exmoor and not Cornwall.

I can just see the tourist guide with that rich west country accent saying: "They do say that on a wild, stormy night you can hear the ghost of lost Jock's cries" The tourist asks if anyone knows what the cries are for and the guide says" Sadly it is revenge for the Scottish 9-3 loss at Wembley in 1961"

Mike
Old 25th September 2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Well, it is unlikely that the site will ever go down for more than a couple of days (Famous Last Words; Vol. 27; pp 263). This was the perfect storm as it happened on a Friday evening and we do not rate 24/7 coverage from our hosting company (at work, we have customers paying a couple of hundred grand per year who do not get that).

The hosting co. now have the correct email address and I have a repeating alert in two separate calendars to warn me just in case...

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies