Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th June 2020, 01:44 PM
Friend

Default Sandersons Camera Shop

Here in Northallerton (North Yorkshire) we have one of those rare things in our High Street, a real camera shop. Sandersons continues to sell film and darkroom equipment alongside the “other” stuff. Sadly Keith Sanderson died earlier this year so his family are selling off his extensive collection of film cameras and related equipment. The shop is now crammed with vintage, mostly 35mm cameras, but there are also brass and mahogany cameras, WW2 aerial cameras and they also have a DeVere 504 and other enlargers for sale, although these larger items are not in the shop. It is well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Regards,

Mark
Old 24th June 2020, 03:08 PM
Friend

Mark, sad to hear that Keith Sanderson died. I always have a good look in his shop when I am in Northallerton. I bought a mint 0M1 off him a couple of years ago.

Alan
Old 24th June 2020, 03:33 PM
Friend

Default Sandersons

I used to live near Bedale and went into the shop regularly. My lasting impression was it always smelled like my darkroom at home! Colour chemicals and fixer.

I always thought he was a bit on the pricy side and when I looked at a Minolta XE1 complete with a 50mm 1.4 lens. The price was about £150. The lens was sold separately but the body price remained at £150!

Whatever the business was it is a death knell for another on street photographic shop and will be missed.
Old 25th June 2020, 08:41 AM
Friend

Default ... a proper camera shop ...

Here in St Albans we have Clarks Camera shop in Holywell Hill. Loads of used 35mm cameras and lenses of all ages, plus a selection of medium-format goodies. And often a brassbound wooden large-format and some enlargers. But no website, so you'll have to go in person. There is a car-park nearby.
Old 28th June 2020, 04:48 PM
Friend

.... and what a great shop Clarks Camera Shop is. Long may it continue. As a not too frequent visitor to St Albans, I always breathe a sigh of relief when walking up Holywell Hill, to see it is still there.
I just love browsing in the window, if nothing else.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:06 PM
Friend

Shops like this remind me of the one in my teens, that I used to frequently visit at weekends, with my hard earned part-time job money, which I used to earn after school. I would lovingly look at all the new Paterson equipment and shiny lighting equipment that I couldn't afford outright. I even made a wooden lighting stand to take the just affordable reflector dish, which my mum and dad kept asking me how much the electric would cost them, when ever I set it up to use, with a standard 150 watt bulb - not even a proper photoflood bulb.

Memories eh?

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies