Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th January 2021, 01:13 PM
Friend

Default 120 adapter to use 35mm film

I can't find any mention of one of these by searching the site, so I'm going to ask now.

Has anyone bought and used one of these? An adapter that allows you to use 35mm film in a 120 camera and at only £5.50, it's worth a go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-to-1...791d%7Ciid%3A1

I've seen them about for a long time, along with final pictures that have the sprocket holes showing in them.

I know it's a bit of a gadget, but I'm buying it for a bit of fun in this gloomy period that we are having.

Terry S
Old 13th January 2021, 02:41 PM
Friend

I like the idea too. looking at the link you would need two sets one for the cartridge and another for a spool to wind onto unless I'm missing something?

I already use 35mm film with my Bronica in a special film back. I'm just about to finished another roll.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:09 PM
Friend

I have a set but not used it yet. The film winds onto a 120 spool at the other end so only 1 set needed

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th January 2021, 04:27 PM
Friend

The natural curve on the 35mm film from edge to edge will probably throw the unsupported edges of the negative out of focus.
Rollei made a kit to convert some of their TLRs from 120 to 35mm and other formats, but they included masks for the viewing screen and most importantly a clip in film gate that held the negative flat in the film gate.

A lot dearer than a fiver though.

Cheers.
Old 13th January 2021, 04:35 PM
Administrator

I can see a number of questions: how do you know how much to roll the film on by? How easy is it to get the film securely wound onto the take-up reel - will it start to slip once there are a few windings on it?

And some observations - you will need to blank-out any window on old folders etc. The focus will be out as the lens-film distance will be different and as Nat observes, the curve of the film will cause issues too.

But all that being said, for a bit of fun it might be, well, a bit of fun!
Old 13th January 2021, 06:13 PM
Friend

Yes I can see all sorts of problems with them, I was planning on using my 220 back when I give it a go. Just for fun really as I can't afford a 135W back.

David
Old 13th January 2021, 08:46 PM
Friend

You will need to use a 220 film back to expose an entire 35mm x36 exp film.

Alternatively, use a 120 film back and a 24 exp film and accept there will be a bit at the end of the roll you cannot use.

Still, it looks like it could be a bit of fun - if you like that sort of thing.

Martin
Old 13th January 2021, 08:53 PM
Friend

Most 120 cameras have a system of rollers that the film passes over before and after the film gate. It should then have a degree of tension as it lies across the gate. The 120 film pressure plate will probably not contact the back of the film as it will have been sized to suit the thickness of the 120 film plus its backing paper. The difference, however, is not very much. A piece of smooth card attached to the pressure plate of a folder would do. The Rollei TLRs have the adjustable pressure plate built-in, so easy to use one of them, even without the special kit. When winding on in a folder or TLR, you are probably stuck with the length of film that passes before the shutter interlock stops further winding. With non-interlock cameras that rely on the red windows, you’re probably using guesswork.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th January 2021, 07:58 AM
Friend

Need to work out how many turns to advance a frame, and block out the red window.
I just dropped the 35mm cassette in one side and attached the film to a standard take up spool as per normal. I just left the cassete to centralise itself.. could drop a couple of spacers either side of it or shave down an old spool to take up the space. Have to take the film out in the darkroom of course but for a one off play its fine
Old 14th January 2021, 08:42 AM
Friend

I have a set of these that I plan to use in my Yashica mat. I was thinking of using both sets and attaching the end if the film into a reusable 35mm canister. Otherwise one would have to handle the camera in a darkroom or changing bag.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies