Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th September 2021, 11:35 AM
Friend

Default What to do with a fresh box of paper that has been exposed ?

I have a bit of a problem.

Yesterday I received a delivery from Silverprint of a few boxes of Ilford Cooltone 11X14 RC Paper.

Unfortunately is was delivered in a bundle of stuff to one of my near neighbours who opened one of the boxes of paper to see what it was, before she checked the address on the box

Any ideas what you can use an exposed box of paper for ?

It's not the end of the world, I ruin lots of sheets of paper by printing my photographs on them

Martin
Old 10th September 2021, 12:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
I have a bit of a problem.

Yesterday I received a delivery from Silverprint of a few boxes of Ilford Cooltone 11X14 RC Paper.

Unfortunately is was delivered in a bundle of stuff to one of my near neighbours who opened one of the boxes of paper to see what it was, before she checked the address on the box

Any ideas what you can use an exposed box of paper for ?

Martin
Hmmm... I'm always cautious when similar has happened to me. If I received a package of any sort - especially if I haven't ordered and am not expecting to receive anything via the post, I immediately check the name and address on the front. But to then actually open the parcel and then one of actual boxes inside, which should of then been obvious to the neighbour that it wasn't destined for them, well...?!?!?!...

As it happens I am going through a similar scenario at the moment after an ebay seller sent me a box of NEW and sealed Ilford MGV paper, but then had obviously opened it and took it into the light to check that all 100 sheets were okay(!) but now denies doing so, despite him saying on his page that he opens all items to check that they are "in 100% condition" before dispatch. I'm sure that that he thought it to be inkjet paper, but he denies this. But it brings up the question again, why don't Ilford (and others) put a sticker on the front of paper boxes, as I believe they do with their films, stating not to open outside of a photographic darkroom. Anyway, I'm confident that ebay will refund me and if the seller wants the paper back, he is welcome to it.

But this brings up a set of posts I made a little while ago, about latent images and how long does it take for them to disappear from darkroom papers. My tests showed that Kentmere at least, seemed printable on again after about 6 months, which may be fine if you can wait that long but it can't be guaranteed without further tests. The link is at:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...t=latent+image

I hope this helps a little.

Terry S
Old 10th September 2021, 12:25 PM
Friend

Depending on just how badly the paper has been exposed, you could try using it for contact printing your negatives. Alternatively, photograms. Failing that, make fresh masks on the reverse side for the different negative formats you print. I usually do this with dud prints.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th September 2021, 12:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Depending on just how badly the paper has been exposed...
This I felt was the first thing I should find out when I got my box of paper the other day.

To find out, I cut a strip of the paper from the top sheet, middle sheet and bottom sheet in the box and put them straight into the developer and guess what... they all came out as black as possible, so they had all had a good dose of exposure, making my paper no good for anything based on this quick test.

Such a waste of good paper!

Terry S
Old 10th September 2021, 12:39 PM
Friend

Default Not addressed to you

Firstly I would be LIVID!

Both with the Post Office or courier Whoever it was who delivered it) and secondly with the person who opened the package without checking that the addressee was correct.

You are entitled to have restitution from one or both. Cool tone paper in 11 x 14 size isn't the cheapest around.

How utterly stupid/thoughtless/incompetent can you get?

Even if it were usable after 6 months (which I doubt) why should you have to wait.
Old 10th September 2021, 12:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Firstly I would be LIVID!

Both with the Post Office or courier Whoever it was who delivered it) and secondly with the person who opened the package without checking that the addressee was correct.

You are entitled to have restitution from one or both. Cool tone paper in 11 x 14 size isn't the cheapest around.

How utterly stupid/thoughtless/incompetent can you get?

Even if it were usable after 6 months (which I doubt) why should you have to wait.
Well put John!

I totally agree with all of your posts points.

I would definitely be looking for a refund from one of them!!!

Sorry, but I'm getting really wound up again about this...

Terry S
Old 10th September 2021, 01:47 PM
Friend

My sympathies and my comment is unfortunately not germane to your problem of what you might do to salvage anything, Martin, but what I find curious is that on tearing away the outer packet and seeing it was a box of Ilford paper, why on earth did the neighbour not stop there with no damage done?

OK even if we assume that the person was expecting a parcel then it had to have been a parcel from a friend who had used an old empty box of Ilford paper to send something that fits well inside a box of the size of Ilford paper. This already starts to stretch coincidence somewhat.

The only explanation that would seem to excuse the neighbour's actions is that the neighbour was expecting a box of Ilford inkjet paper as a present or had asked Ilford for such a box. Even then it was clear no check was made on the address first.

With this kind of impetuosity, we can only hope that the neighbour will never be in charge of a nuclear silo

Mike
Old 10th September 2021, 03:52 PM
Friend

Over here DPD who were silverprints carriers, will only deliver to the named addressee, and will not leave at another address without your written permission so without such permission the company would be liable at least under Jersey law
Richard
Old 10th September 2021, 08:07 PM
Friend

I let a friend use my gear and he left a packet of 8x10 open and switched the white light on.
He had the honesty to admit it.

Like Marty I used the paper to make masks. I fully exposed and developed some of the papers to get black masks for printing oval, circular prints etc.

At the moment there is an auction on ebay for about twenty glass plates.
A lovely picture shows them spread out like a pack of playing cards.
The seller proudly declares that have been checked and are in excellent condition.

Cheers.
Old 10th September 2021, 08:20 PM
Friend

Default Potential theft

This sort of 'problem' smack of Hermes!

However I wonder if the packet had contained something that was of value or use to the person who received it, would you would have ever heard about it?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies