Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th March 2018, 05:56 PM
Friend

Default Ilford DDX versus DD

I like using DDX but it is too expensive really. And going up all the time. What is to stop me buying 5 litres of DD, putting it in a wine box, and using it one shot at 1+4?

I know that DD is meant to be used replenished (and I don't want to go down that road) but as far as I understand it the only difference is that DDX is in gycol(?) Is this correct?

A lot of ifs and buts here, and unfortunately I can't afford to buy 5 litres of DD unless I'm pretty sure it will work OK.
Old 28th March 2018, 11:15 PM
Friend

Is that true though? I thought they were the same just more quantity in DD.
http://www.darkroomdave.com/tutorial...oom-chemicals/
Old 29th March 2018, 08:52 AM
Friend

I've tried to find the ilfotec dd and it's nigh on impossible to find a stockist and what I have found hasn't been cheap.

What I can say is that dd-x has high capacity and 1 liter at 1+4 dilution can process 10 films as per the data sheet.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 29th March 2018, 03:49 PM
Friend

Ah, I was unaware of that. You mean the usual process of adding 10% per film? I've never dared go beyond about 7 films. With ID11.
Old 29th March 2018, 04:54 PM
Friend

Oh, and Ilford sell DD from their website now, about £55 for 5 litres. A lot cheaper than DD-X which is approaching £20 per litre now.
Old 29th March 2018, 05:28 PM
Friend

Could you post the link please?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 29th March 2018, 08:02 PM
Friend

It looks to be stuff for a large capacity photo-lab involving continuous replenishment. No mention is made in the tech sheets for small tank development but that isn't to say that it cannot be used that way and there is a reference to a non replenishment regime.

Is it definitely the same stuff as DDX? I am not sure I'd be brave enough to try it but in the gladiatorial days I'd have been the net mender and sword sharpener who goes home every night to the wife and kids

Let us know how it goes if you get the stuff. Thanks

Mike
Old 29th March 2018, 08:27 PM
Friend

DD-X would go a lot further if used in a rotary processor due to the lower working volume. For 120 for example loading two rolls on the reel doubles the output for the same volume of working solution. Ilford also say for example "ILFOTEC DD-X is supplied as a liquid concentrate
diluted 1+4 for one-shot use when the highest image quality is required. However, for greater economy it can be reused but image quality will be reduced slightly." as alluded to in above posts. There are also unofficial 1+6 and 1+9 dilutions.

10 rolls per litre would infer that the minimum quantity of fresh working solution developer required per film is 100ml or less. 2 rolls per Jobo spiral for rotary development would certainly make DD-X go a long way without even needing to resort to reusing developer.

Personally I am going to practice loading 2 rolls per spiral so I can get 20+ rolls of 120 out of a bottle.
Old 30th March 2018, 11:58 AM
Friend

A long time ago I made some notes from photo.net discussions of experience of using DD-X at greater dilution:

try using DD-X at 1:8 or so dilution rather than the specified 1:4 and working up a suitable development time for that dilution. That may allow Delta 400 to retain its shoulder better. Around 1.5X the 1:4 dilution development time is a reasonable starting point.
https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...ec-dd-x.18731/

Lately I've been using DD-X diluted 1:8 instead of 1:4. Times are increased 150%.
DDX certainly works at a 1:9 dilution
https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...erience.41274/

from Andy Piper's comments in https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...ilution.95805/
I ended up using 150% the time (easier math) for the last test, and the negs were still a tad contrasty - so the old photographic standby of root-2 (1.41x your normal time at 1:4 dilution) is probably the best starting point for using DDX at 1:9 dilution. The extra dilution does seem to reduce the solvent action somewhat.

HTH. There may be others but these should give a good basis for your own tests.
Old 30th March 2018, 11:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Could you post the link please?
https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ilfotec-dd-developer

And NJHrs is correct, Dave Butcher categorically states they are the same thing. I may experiment with dilutions. I do find DD-X to be a bit contrasty. If all goes well I'll get a 5 litre bottle of DD and report back...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies