Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd February 2022, 11:59 AM
Friend

Question Bellini FOTO Euro HC

Has anyone tried this developer? Its supposedly a clone of Kodak HC110 but is available in 500 ml and 250 ml bottles.
Old 2nd February 2022, 05:44 PM
Friend

I'm not a user but the only reviews on Nik and Trick are their beta testers, who all seem to rate it highly.

Terry
Old 2nd February 2022, 08:15 PM
Friend

Terry, I could only find one review, so where are the beta testers' reviews?

Terry and Keith, the one review was OK but the person said nothing that isn't in the Nik and Trick write-up

The claim is that while it is no more syrupy than the new HC110, the Euro HC has solved the oxidisation problem but no mention of what is different about it that solves this problem and it assumes that the new HC110 in the 1L size will "go off" before most low/medium vol users can get through 1L but again no evidence that this will be the case

Unless there is good evidence that the new HC110 will not last long enough for most users to get through a 1L bottle you end up paying a lot extra for Bellini HC Euro stuff.

I say all of the above as someone with no vested interest in either product so just my observations on what Nik and Trick and the one reviewer tell me or do not tell me that enables a meaningful conclusion.

Mike
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:15 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry and Mike. I only mention it because I am tempted to try a 250 ml bottle to see if I like HC110 without having too much to use up if I don't get on with it.
Old 2nd February 2022, 11:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
Thanks Terry and Mike. I only mention it because I am tempted to try a 250 ml bottle to see if I like HC110 without having too much to use up if I don't get on with it.
This stuff i.e. HC110 or Euro HC clearly has a lot of fans and it is very economical so on that basis alone it is a good value for money developer

The late Fred Picker was a great fan of it, almost evangelical in fact but while I am sure it is OK his evangelism struck me as a little over the top

Mike
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
This stuff i.e. HC110 or Euro HC clearly has a lot of fans and it is very economical so on that basis alone it is a good value for money developer

The late Fred Picker was a great fan of it, almost evangelical in fact but while I am sure it is OK his evangelism struck me as a little over the top

Mike
I won't get evangelical about it either. I'm just looking for a liquid concentrate that gives similar results to D76/ID-11 so I don't have to mix dry powders to make a stock solution. It also has to have a good shelf life.
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Terry, I could only find one review, so where are the beta testers' reviews?

Mike
Hi Mike. The reviews (there are three but I thought that I read four on my phone recently) are found by clicking the purple stars top right, which takes you to reviews at the bottom of the page:

https://ntphotoworks.com/product/bel...c-110/#reviews

You may have missed them, as there are three links to look at and you need to click on 'reviews' to actually see them. The three links being:

Description
Additional information
Reviews (3)

Terry S
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
I won't get evangelical about it either. I'm just looking for a liquid concentrate that gives similar results to D76/ID-11 so I don't have to mix dry powders to make a stock solution. It also has to have a good shelf life.
Personally, decades ago I used Ilford's Ilfosol S, which was a good developer, but even a small bottle went off for me before finishing it, (and I didn't know about preservation gases at the time) as I'm not a huge user of film. (Note: Just looking, it is now called 'Ilford Ilfosol 3'.)

Having read about it over the last year or so, the expiration problem has now apparently been solved and the developer gets very good reviews from users.

Could this be worth a look at?

Terry S
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:03 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry. The key aspect, namely the extra longevity, if any, compared to "new" HC110 gets no mention unfortunately

The whole jury is out and may be out for several years on whether either of these new products HC110 or Euro HC match the life of the syrupy old HC110 or if not then crucially how close in terms of years can we expect them to last

Mike
Old 3rd February 2022, 09:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Personally, decades ago I used Ilford's Ilfosol S, which was a good developer,(Note: Just looking, it is now called 'Ilford Ilfosol 3'.)

Having read about it over the last year or so, the expiration problem has now apparently been solved and the developer gets very good reviews from users.

Could this be worth a look at?

Terry S
It's one I might consider.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies