Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th May 2022, 07:48 AM
Friend

Default Developing expired *Original* FP4

Morning guys.
I bought an alden74 bulk loader with an unspecified amount of film in it. Weighing the unit suggested there was about 30' inside. I cut a foot off and dropped it in a tank alongside a couple of loaded spools and semi stand developed it in caffenol c-l, purely to find out what it was. It turns out it is Ilford FP4 Safety Film which plonks it firmly in the 90s. I have no idea how this was stored so I made up a short roll and shot it at 1/64 on my little Ricoh 500 RF (love that camera, so much fun). I then developed it in ID-11 at box speed. (See images). The negatives were a bit thin so the next roll is going to be developed +1. I am also going to develop it in HC110 (N&T Euro110) bought especially for the job. Now, massive dev gives 12mins at 20°c (dilution B, 1:31) for film shot at 200, which seems fine, although that is for FP4+. I was however thinking of using dilution H (1:62) and doubling the dev time. OK, here come the questions.
1) is FP4 the same as FP4+ in terms of development?
B) is HC110 the way to go? (I also bought some rodders)
iii) Does a longer developing time (greater dilution) lead to a greater possibility of fog?

As for the film, I made up 6x24 rolls, shot one and put the rest in the freezer so it doesn't deteriorate further, was that a good idea? I still have a couple of rolls worth that I took out of the loader and stored. I would have canistered the lot but I ran out of cans

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as always

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies