Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th February 2020, 02:07 PM
Friend

Default Different tanks for B&W and C41?

I took the plunge and processed my first two rolls of colour film today using the BelliniFoto C41 kit. The instructions inside the box were much more user friendly than those online and two rolls of 35mm colour negatives hanging in my bathroom are testament to the fact that I managed adequately.

My question: I used the tank and reels I have for B&W processing, should I keep B&W and C41 equipment separate or am I OK to use the same kit for both processes?

Thanks in advance
Old 12th February 2020, 02:45 PM
Friend

I used the same tanks for B&W, C41 and E6 for many years never had an issue.

Ian
Old 12th February 2020, 03:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I used the same tanks for B&W, C41 and E6 for many years never had an issue.

Ian
Thanks Ian!
Old 27th February 2020, 07:37 AM
Friend

Default B&W V Colour

I have never heard anything to say that the tanks or measuring cylinders should be kept separate and I have never had a problem but I make sure they are very clean.

Periodically I soak the tanks and reels in Milton solution overnight which cleans the reels and tanks, then pop them into the dishwasher to finish it off.

However when mixing the concentrates for colour (only), Tetenal do say that separate plastic cylinders should be kept for developer, and bleach/fix. I have started to use certified glass measuring cylinders and with the developer solution, especially when I wash them out the first 3-4 rinses come out with a very definite pink tinge which I do know is a concentrate 'carry over'. I think Tetenal do have something in their recommendation. Glass being non absorbent, once this clears I am happy the vessels are clean.

Last edited by John King; 27th February 2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 27th February 2020, 08:05 AM
Friend

I have seen warnings about the formaldehyde used in the Stabiliser from Tetenal in their E-6 kits, so I keep those separate and never pour the Stabiliser into the lift of my Jobo processor (though I did so at first until I spotted the warnings!). Once all the stages are complete, I put the finished films into a separate tank to complete the stabilisation and then pour the chemicals back into the bottle they came from.
All of which may be irrelevant as I don't know if formaldehyde is used in the C-41 process, but I'd use separate tanks for each different process as, in the case of the E-6 kit, the First Developer and Colour Developer have to be mixed and kept completely separate as contamination is extremely likely otherwise.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies