Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th July 2021, 08:05 AM
Friend

Default Bronica SQA lenses

After one hell of a year, leaving teaching and moving as far north as I could get without falling in the sea, I have finally set up my darkroom again! I took my beloved Bronny for a jaunt out west only to get frustrated with my lens, everything was either too far away or was lurking in the middle of a field that even with my gung ho attitude I wasn’t brave enough to wander into the field (highland cows are not known for their friendliness especially when they have a calf!) I have an 80mm lens on the bronica what do I need to look for lens wise to enable me to get closer? Eg a stunning derelict crofters cottage that was across a small valley but far to far away to get a decent shot, having driven around to get to the site I couldn’t get the shot from the front of the building because of the drop off two metres away from the front door! Help please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 4th July 2021, 08:53 AM
Friend

There are 150mm and either 200 or 250mm lenses which would get you closer. There is also a 2x Tele converter. There is a 500mm as well, but you would need a mortgage and a Landrover to carry it.
I have the 150 which I like, but as far as getting in closer is concerned, it is only equivalent to 70mm in a 35mm camera system. Buying it, or the 250mm and the converter might be the most economical option.
Check the list of IanB Photo online. He does a lot of Bronica, and is good to deal with. Ffordes also usually have some in stock.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 4th July 2021, 09:12 AM
Friend

Thank you Alex that’s a great help 🤓

Old 4th July 2021, 09:17 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Whilst I don’t have the SQ system I do have the ETR-Si and I have found that with the 200mm lens and a 2X converter it does pull in the image.
BTW on your profile I am not sure that Kent is as far North as you can go!
Old 4th July 2021, 09:18 AM
Friend

Bill you are absolutely right Kent is the other end! I can see the Orkney Islands from here 🤣

Old 4th July 2021, 09:23 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonJane View Post
Bill you are absolutely right Kent is the other end! I can see the Orkney Islands from here 🤣

Then you are either not in Kent OR you have really exceptional eyesight!

Have fun with the Bronny they are excellent cameras.
Old 4th July 2021, 09:24 AM
Friend

Hehe I wish my eyesight was that good!

Old 4th July 2021, 10:27 AM
Friend

My neighbour has incredible hearing.
She heard from her Aunt in Canada the other day.

Back to reality......
I think I still have the old brochure of Bronica lenses some place.
I shall dig it out and put some scans on here for you to read.

Cheers.
Old 4th July 2021, 11:50 AM
Friend

I have a SQAi kit and find a 50mm, 80mm and 150mm lenses cover the majority of my needs but as you say the focal length range is very close to the standard lens. The comparable focal range of 35mm equipment is 28mm, 45mm, and 85mm which for the situations you describe are not suitable. I would think you would need a Bronica 250mm f5.6 lens which is equivelent to a 135mm lens in 35mm format. I have a 250mm PS lens Which I have not used very much and I tend to leave out of my bag due to the weight, 1,010 gms. There is a 500mm lens which the f8 S version weighs 1890 gms and the f8 PS version weighs 3760gms which at that weight and f8 max aperture would deter me from using.
I do have a 2X tele converter which weighs 600 gms (heaviour than your 80mm lens, 490 gms) and loses about 1 to two stops in aperture. I did find there is a noticable loss of quality when using it.

To coclude I would think you would need at least the 200mm lens (110mm 35mm equivelent) or the 250mm lens to cope with the situations you describe. The weight factor is significant if you are doing a lot of walking but on the plus side the filter sizes are the same as your 80mm lens, 67mm. Bear in mind that the max aperture for the 200mm is f4.5 and the 250mm is 5.6 you may find that a tripod is desireable which does add to the load to carry. It is just a difficult balance between magnifcation and weight, not an easy choice.

I hope you are able to find a solution.

Tony
Old 4th July 2021, 11:52 AM
Friend

I too have an SQB that I love, but my interests are more around the standard and wide end of lenses.

Just checking the bay, a 200mm lens starts at £120.00 including p/p and a 500mm starting at about £420.00, with both prices depending upon your camera model and mount, with a 'mint, new' 500mm one costing a few £1000's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/3323/i.ht...a=1&_dcat=3323

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/3323/i.ht...a=1&_dcat=3323

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies