Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st November 2021, 11:26 PM
Friend

Default Any modern meters with speed/apertures for old shutters?

I've got some wonderful lenses in compur dial set shutters and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with any modern light meters with clear shutter speed and aperture values for these beautiful shutters?

I've got an excellent Weston Master V where the values are much clearer to read than on anything else modern that I've got. I've been 'fudging' the readings by rounding everything up/down. And I know that the shutters probably aren't even that accurate!
But, if your aware of anything that might fit the bill, then please let me know.

I've included a pic of a Weston Master V showing the values that modern meters don't seem to show...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20211102_001536.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	4265  

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 1st November 2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:39 AM
Friend

Like you I have many shutters with older speed settings but that;s never been an issue when metering. Think in terms of how film ISO progresses in 1/3rds

25, 32 (30), 50, 64 (60), 80 (75), 100, 125, 160 (150), 200, 250, 320 (300) etc. So using that ISO scale as shutter speed the bracketed speeds at close enough to be equivalent.

So I use the nearest and just adjust by a 1/3 of a stop, but then my Gossen Luna Pro/Lunasix, meters and Minolta spotmeter do have 1/3 stop aperture markings..

So for 100th I'd use the aperture 1/3 of a stop down from the 125th mark. What's always amazed me is how accurate old Dial Set Comurs can be and my oldest is from 1913.

Ian
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:34 AM
Friend

The Sekonic L-308 meters can be adjusted to show speed and aperture in one third stops. They are quite small, but with a decent size display. Some other digital meters can do the same. I think my Gossen Digipro F does.
I find the classic dial type meters quite difficult to read, largely due to the small size of the figures. I have one of the Sekonic selenium cell types, which I really like, but it needs reading glasses to operate.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:04 AM
Friend

Even my Weston Euromaster (circa 1980) dial doesn't show the intermediate shutter and aperture settings - although the dial still shows 1/3rd marks for aperture.

I think the dial is by far and away the clearest way to display the shutter/aperture options available.

When it eventually dies, I will still carry it and use the information my digital meter shows me to decide what to shoot at.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies