Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th March 2023, 11:15 AM
Friend

Default Distagon vs Biogon - help!

I have been reading separate reviews of the 40mm Distagon (for Hasselblad 500C) and 38mm Biogon (SWC). They cost about the same but I have never seen a comparison. The application is architectural, lighting is usually whatever is available, so flare is important. Sharp corners and rectilinear geometry are a given but vignetting would be a problem - B&W prints can easily be corrected but it could be significant when transparencies are submitted for publication.
Any help? It's a lot of money and I am proceeding with caution.
Old 18th March 2023, 01:42 PM
Friend

Some comments on here :
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...t=14265&page=2
Old 18th March 2023, 01:44 PM
Friend

If you're using colour, then I'd say you'll find the Biogon a bit sharper in the corners. However the roll-off could be a problem. if so, you might have to buy a centre filter, though it needn't be one specifically for the Biogon, if you can find one for LF lenses, you could adapt it.
Old 18th March 2023, 04:04 PM
Friend

I see from the other post that you want the lens for architecture. Have you thought about the 38mm Super Angulon and a Linhof Technika 6x9 that would give you the major advantage of movement, would probably work out around the same price as the SWC.

Center ND filters are now extremely expensive, there was a time in the early 2000s when Schneider were selling off surplus stock through Robert White (UK) and Badger Graphics (US), late Tessar & G-Claron lenses and Center ND filters. The filters were around £100=£120 I made the mistake of not getting one for my 65mm Super Angulon at that time.

However, I was lucky to stumble across 2 Hoya Centre filter from a camera store on eBay around 3 years ago listed as s/h but in fact new in their boxes. I paid £90 in total for the pair, plus postage.

I wouldn't class a 38mm or 40mm lens for MF as being extreme in comparison to a 17-21mm on a 35mm camera or a 58-65mm on a 5x4 camera, more akin to a 24mm on a 35mm camera. You will see very slight light fall off with colour films, and as Mark says probably nothing noticeable with B&W.

Where I do have slight edge fall off (in terms of exposure) is with my 65mm SA on my 5x4 camera with B&W films which is not noticeable with my 75mm SA. However, exposure fall off is more of a problem with my 2nd 75mm SA on my 6x17 camera, but then the long edge is just short of 7 inches.

Ian
Old 20th March 2023, 06:21 PM
Friend

I once attended a workshop and a chap from Hasselblad came to show off his companies wares - tough I know but someone had to do it.

I'm pretty sure that only the 38mm lens integrated into the SWC camera was sufficiently corrected for architectural design analysis applications.

I'm not sure this information is of any help.

I don't remember a CF designed for the camera

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies