Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th May 2022, 08:06 AM
Friend

I re-read all the FADU and Photo.net posts following Vania's plea for advice on plus-density streaks on negatives and I think the only remaining answer is poor mixing of HC110 syrup and layering in the tank.
When loaded in a spiral the film forms a cylinder with a vertical axis. When a Paterson or similar spiral is rotated, layering may not be disturbed. I would recommend four additions to your procedure:
- use D-76, ID11 or diluted HC110 to achieve a dev time in excess of ten minutes.
- Mix HC110 with a soup-spoon or similar-shaped paddle for quite some time. Move the paddle back and forth rather than round and round. Inspect the mix with a point-source light behind the (glass or glass-clear) vessel while stirring.
- Use inversion agitation to break up layers
- To dry film without marks - especially important for 35mm - because the back has no gelatine, put a dry top clip onto the drying line. Make a 1:200 solution of wetting agent - it doesn't have to be distilled water but avoid creating froth. Immerse the spiral and film for a few seconds, once again avoiding froth. Use the weighted bottom clip to withdraw the film(s).
- Hang the film up, without touching the film. Wait, patiently.
Old 20th May 2022, 01:34 PM
Friend

After following and reading this thread, I've come to the same conclusion as JOReynolds above.

I have to say that I'm not a user of this particular developer, but reading others descriptions of it, it does sound like a very thick viscous liquid, having been described as like honey in one of the posts.

The best conclusion that I have come to, as stated, is that it really does require a REALLY GOOD stir to ensure that it is fully mixed into the water before use. Using a more dilute solution, as said, will probably also help.

I hope that you finally manage to find a solution to using this developer, or as others have suggested, I would try D76 / ID11, which is a much used and a very good developer, which mixes easily.

Terry S
Old 20th May 2022, 04:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
After following and reading this thread, I've come to the same conclusion as JOReynolds above.

I have to say that I'm not a user of this particular developer, but reading others descriptions of it, it does sound like a very thick viscous liquid, having been described as like honey in one of the posts.

The best conclusion that I have come to, as stated, is that it really does require a REALLY GOOD stir to ensure that it is fully mixed into the water before use. Using a more dilute solution, as said, will probably also help.

I hope that you finally manage to find a solution to using this developer, or as others have suggested, I would try D76 / ID11, which is a much used and a very good developer, which mixes easily.

Terry S

Terry,

HC110 is a very good developer but probably not the first choice for a beginner. It was the developer of choice for Ansel Adams and many other pro photographers.

Originally Kodak made HC110 for commercial use (in machines) but it drifted down to home darkroom use - made popular by Ansel Adams of course.

You do need to watch the dilutions and I would advise sticking to one method until some experience has been gained. It actuially mixes very easily in water at normal film developing temperature, just make sure you give it a good stir but no need to go OTT.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th May 2022, 05:09 PM
Friend

Default Hc110

I have never used it even over the years I have been photographing. What are it's keeping qualities say in a half bottle, is it stable or does it 'go of'.
Old 20th May 2022, 05:53 PM
Friend

John.

HC110 is like a syrup - care is needed when measuring small amounts. It keeps for ages becasue it is highly concentrated. It can be diluted down to a 'stock' but most work straight from the bottle. Once you get the hang of this - no problems at all. In fact it is a very versitile developer - akin to a liquid D76.

The problem being discussed here doesn't sound like a dev mixing problem to me, the stock dev is not that difficult to mix. The problem sounds more like a contanimation issue and one that will be difficult to track down.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 20th May 2022, 08:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
John.

HC110 is like a syrup - care is needed when measuring small amounts. It keeps for ages becasue it is highly concentrated. It can be diluted down to a 'stock' but most work straight from the bottle.

Neil.
Neil, it might be worthwhile to point out to any newcomers to this developer that the new HC110 as opposed to the former version of HC110 is no longer anything like as syrupy as the former version. There was a very long thread on this in Photrio where the jury is still out as whether this thinner HC110 means that it has much less longevity. If there is a mixing problem due to the former's syrupy nature( still not clear that they are connected as you say, Neil ) then I'd assume that on the plus side the latest thinner version should certainly be easier to mix

Mike
Old 20th May 2022, 11:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
John.

HC110 is like a syrup - care is needed when measuring small amounts. It keeps for ages becasue it is highly concentrated. It can be diluted down to a 'stock' but most work straight from the bottle. Once you get the hang of this - no problems at all. In fact it is a very versitile developer - akin to a liquid D76.

The problem being discussed here doesn't sound like a dev mixing problem to me, the stock dev is not that difficult to mix. The problem sounds more like a contanimation issue and one that will be difficult to track down.

Neil.
Thanks Neil, I had heard it was a bit like syrup. I can handle measuring that. With some colour chemicals (Rollie Digibase C41) I use a syringe of the same type used to refill the ink cartridges on an Epson Printer. Even down to .25 of a cc is no problem
Old 21st May 2022, 08:18 AM
Friend

Quick follow-up:

I developed a roll using Ilford DD-X and could not reproduce these streaks. So it looks like this may be somehow related to my use of HC-110 - either inadequate mixing or something else.

Before I claim victory, though, I'm going to develop another roll using DD-X to see if the results for my current roll were just a fluke.

Stay tuned...
Old 21st May 2022, 09:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Neil, it might be worthwhile to point out to any newcomers to this developer that the new HC110 as opposed to the former version of HC110 is no longer anything like as syrupy as the former version. There was a very long thread on this in Photrio where the jury is still out as whether this thinner HC110 means that it has much less longevity. If there is a mixing problem due to the former's syrupy nature( still not clear that they are connected as you say, Neil ) then I'd assume that on the plus side the latest thinner version should certainly be easier to mix

Mike
Mike,

The later HC110 developers are a tad less syrupy but you still need to be careful measuring if using straight from the bottle. If you use a tall thin measuring cylinder the job is much easier - I have a couple that I keep just for that sort of job.

I will stress there is no need to get over concerned about HC110's viscosity - it is not a problem - you just need to accept it and adapt. HC110 keeps for ages and the bottle I am using now must be around 3 years old. When I start a new litre of HC110 I always decant it into two 500ml brown glass bottles and keep a puff of gas over the top. The spare
500ml bottle is kept in my fridge until needed.

Even if you were a tad sloppy with you HC110 mixing it would soon get 'mixed' when you do your agitation routine at the beging of the development.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 21st May 2022, 09:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Even if you were a tad sloppy with you HC110 mixing it would soon get 'mixed' when you do your agitation routine at the beging of the development.
That's why I've always tended to reject the insufficient mixing theory offered to explain this problem. It just doesn't seem that difficult to sufficiently mix HC-110 and I've been very careful to do so properly.

But it does appear that this issue might be somehow related to my use of HC-110 since I did not see these streaks on the most recent roll I developed using Ilford DD-X.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies