Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2009, 09:09 AM
Friend

Default Buy Cheap, Buy Dear - Fomapan 100 (again)

Well, I've nearly now shot 30 sheets of Fomapan 100, and find it responds very well to Rodinal 1:50 . . . however I doubt I'll ever buy another box, because of the quality control. To be honest, similar sized small crescent- shaped lines in the emulsion, were alright when the photos were of my son, taken in our living room . . . . but when you've lugged a Sinar F and a Linhof tripod up to about 2500 ft in filthy weather; shot what you think are real 'Ansel' moments (if you know what I mean); got home, processed the film and discovered a strange crater-shaped pinhead sized splodge (shows pure black with a crater edge on the contact print) and two really strange lines on on the non-emulsion side of your best frame . . . harumph!

It doesn't exactly instill confidence in using it again - yes it is nice and cheap, and has actually been fine to use, but if I don't feel I can rely on it, I'm not going to load it, and especially when distance is involved! So I am afraid it is back to good old reliable Ilford, and if the lottery comes up, Kodak for me. I don't think I've ever had quality control issues with their stuff.
Phil
Old 19th November 2009, 09:16 AM
Friend

Now you should understand the meaning of the oft used expression :

"Film is cheap"
Old 19th November 2009, 09:35 AM
Friend

Bad news Phil. I'm in the "Been there, done that camp", so can appreciate something of how you feel. Equally Rob is correct. Film cost can be a small fraction of the overall cost of a shoot, be it in cash, or kind. Your decision to keep the cheap film for local, repeatable shoots is very sound, and one we should all follow until complete confidence in a product is achieved.
Old 19th November 2009, 10:29 AM
Friend

Dave,

To take the example of the Efke films, it is interesting to read reports suggesting some have never ending problems with the films while others none; perhaps they are using different batches, accounting for variability?

Tom
Old 19th November 2009, 11:02 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
Dave,

To take the example of the Efke films, it is interesting to read reports suggesting some have never ending problems with the films while others none; perhaps they are using different batches, accounting for variability?

Tom
Interesting thought Tom; that could be the case, but I hope that their quality control isn't that bad.
Old 19th November 2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Frequent reports of quality issues ensure that I never use anything other than the "big three" (Kodak, Ilford, Fuji) for film - Agfa would have made it "four" but alas...

Having said that, past forays with Maco film were perfectly fine though.
Old 19th November 2009, 06:17 PM
Friend

Worrying. I was going to buy some Foma 10x8 tomorrow....
Old 20th November 2009, 09:12 AM
Friend

Actually I've used Adox too (about 30 sheets in . . ) and apart from some slight frilling at the extremes of the sheets they've been fine - CHS 100 responds well to HC110 and Rodinal.
With Foma, I've used the roll film which has been great (apart from the curl) and no quality issues at all - that's why the problems with the sheet film did suprise me (though maybe I should have had some idea from the dreadfully cheap quality of the box [and it only being a two-part box]).
But I am resolved now . . . spend more money . . use less film . . . make better images!
Phil
Old 20th November 2009, 07:36 PM
Friend

This appears to be a sheet film issue. I have used 100/200/400 ASA Foma film in 35mm with excellent results. Have just purchase 10 more rolls of Classic Fomapan!

Robert
Old 10th December 2009, 05:58 AM
Friend

I wont buy foma any more. I have had issues with the 200 in both 120 and 35mm with emulsion defects, scratches etc. The 100 is fine, but very prone to drying marks and that is a problem for me.

Its a shame, because I find Foma 100 amazing in rodinal and 200 truly unique. Now, I am back to Delta 100 and FP4+ depending on the look I am after.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies