Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2009, 08:17 AM
Friend

Default Amber safe lights

A question arose in discussion with one of our members the other day over the use of the Paterson / Photex globe amber safe lights, I think they were marketed as suitable for variable contrast papers and able to give a brighter light than the red version. I think I remember reading that they were withdrawn because they were found to be unsuitable, allegedly fogging some papers rather too quickly.
Has anyone else experience of them? Is anyone using them in their darkroom?
Old 28th January 2009, 08:41 AM
Friend

I have an amber dome for my Photax but haven't used it for years. I bought the specifically variable contrast dome which is a sort of brownish colour, and that works fine - at least with Ilford and Agfa papers. I also have the cylindrical Paterson one with a red filter and that is also OK.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 28th January 2009, 12:41 PM
Friend

I have some very bright amber LEDs at work. They are used for the indicator in the TVR rear light cluster which we make the flexible circuit for.

I'm going to try these out as a safelight one day.

I also have the red LEDs from the same cluster. I should try those too.

Steve.
Old 28th January 2009, 01:53 PM
Friend

I've had problems (fogging) in the past with amber safelights with Fote's Polywarmtone paper and Bergger's WT/VC paper. Thus I only use red these days.

All I can say is test them thoroughly with the various papers you use.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 28th January 2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Can't address these specific units but amber (~ 590nm) is quite close to the end of many VC papers sensitivity (usually around 525-550nm from looking at manufacturers' data sheets). This implies that any amber safelight had better be quite narrow-band and as such, not emit much light below it's nominal wavelength. I have doubts how effective coloured plastic will be at this...

Amber LEDs do quite well however and I can get amber light that appears much more pleasant than the usual red or red/orange. Exactly how much this is helped by the fact that our eyes are more sensitive to colour as you go away from red and towards green I'm not sure, but I suspect it is quite significant.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:51 PM
Friend

A question - just for clarification. I am presuming that the Ilford 902 isn't amber? I have one and very good it is too with MG paper but to tell the truth I don't know how I'd describe the colour of it when illuminated. The glass looks brown when it's off but a kind of "amberish" when lit. All I can say with confidence is that it isn't red.

That's one of the problems on the internet. We can see what the other describes. One man's amber is another man's .......

pentaxuser
Old 28th January 2009, 08:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
A question - just for clarification. I am presuming that the Ilford 902 isn't amber? I have one and very good it is too with MG paper but to tell the truth I don't know how I'd describe the colour of it when illuminated. The glass looks brown when it's off but a kind of "amberish" when lit. All I can say with confidence is that it isn't red.

That's one of the problems on the internet. We can see what the other describes. One man's amber is another man's .......

pentaxuser
No, not at all. I'm asking about the round ones made by Paterson in which you could see the the lamp filiment glow when lit, sort of amber/brown. The Ilford 902 unit is among the best.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Ilford's definitions: -

902 Light Brown
904 Dark Brown
906 Dark Red
907 Dark Green
908 Very dark Green
914 Sepia
915 Light Red
916 Dark Green

Ilford recommend the 902 for most Ilford paper including Multigrade. Adox recommends the use of a Dark Red safelight for their VarioClassic Paper.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
No, not at all. I'm asking about the round ones made by Paterson in which you could see the the lamp filiment glow when lit, sort of amber/brown. The Ilford 902 unit is among the best.
It's the "VF" model on this page. As it's still listed, I assume it's still sold.
Old 29th January 2009, 08:44 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's the "VF" model on this page. As it's still listed, I assume it's still sold.
That's the one I use. Seems OK. I haven't tested it lately but when I last did it was fine.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies