Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th May 2012, 02:51 PM
Friend

Default Foma 400?

Hi everyone. I have a roll of foma 400 in 35mm, and am wondering if I should pull it to 200. I can't recall where I've read that it does not fare to well processed at box rating. Also, has anyone processed this film in d76? Thanks all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 20th May 2012, 03:47 PM
Friend

Welcome John. I have used Foma 400 and rated it at 400 Iso, but it really does depend on which developer you use - and I haven't used it in D76. As this is you first roll I suggest that you expose it at box speed and use D76 to see how well it works. You are unlikely to be too far out and will be able to see if you need to amend your speed when you have printed the negatives.
Old 20th May 2012, 04:10 PM
Friend

Hi John and welcome to the forum, I use a lot of foma 400, it is one of my favorite films, I have used it at 400 but it is in reality a 320 film, so I would set my exposure meter to 320. it is a nice film with a tonality all of its own, I develop it in d76 for 8 minutes. one tip is not to use a acid stop bath, use plain water, it doesn't like the acid stop bath, use 2 changes of water.
Richard
Old 20th May 2012, 04:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkw View Post
Hi Dave. Thanks for your advice. I'll go ahead and shoot it at 400, my go to speed that I shoot regularly via hp5 which goes well with d76. I kind of wish I could get rodinal here in Canada, which I bet works well with foma, efke, etc, but I'm limited to an ever shrinking demand for film and chemistry.
Regards.

Have you thought about mixing your own developer, or is it just as difficult to obtain the raw chemicals where you are?
Old 20th May 2012, 04:13 PM
Friend

Hi Dave. Thanks for your advice. I'll go ahead and shoot it at 400, my go to speed that I shoot regularly via hp5 which goes well with d76. I kind of wish I could get rodinal here in Canada, which I bet works well with foma, efke, etc, but I'm limited to an ever shrinking demand for film and chemistry.
Regards.

Old 20th May 2012, 04:19 PM
Friend

Hi Richard, Thanks, that's good news. I was definately a little worried about the d76. Water stop it is then. I'm guessing 1+1 dilution ?

Old 20th May 2012, 04:23 PM
Friend

I haven't quite delved into that area yet but I might try a coffee type developer which sounds interesting. Anyone try that?

Old 20th May 2012, 04:47 PM
Friend

Hello John,
Foma 400 is grainier than HP5+, so Rodinal is probably not a good choice for it anyway in 35mm; unless you like a lot of grain of course.
Foma 400 has a distinctive character all of its own. I have used a lot of it, rated at 200 in sunny conditions and developed in Pyrocat HD which brings out the really expressive quality of the grain.
I've just bought some more which I plan to rate at 200 and develop in D76 at 1+2 for 15 minutes.

Alan
Old 20th May 2012, 05:16 PM
Friend

John,
as Alan said the fomapan is a grainy film, but it is a ''nice'' grain,and in Rodinal it is very nice, lovely tone, if you don't mind grain, I used to use rodinal for it in both 35mm and 120, but with rodinal you only get 160 to 200 iso, in D76 you get as nice a negative as rodinal, but less grain, and a faster film, 320 iso, develop for 8/9 minutes at stock, and you find the distinctive character of the film,
Richard
Old 20th May 2012, 05:24 PM
Friend

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I think I've found the ultimate forum and look forward to contribute more here.

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies