Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th May 2013, 07:04 PM
Friend

Default Have mercy on my wallet Dear Framer, dear framer, have mercy on my pocket,

So,

Another Gallery Exhibition looms. Yet another chance for me to pay for a Barbados holiday for the framer.

How do you guys treat framing? I'm lost now with the amount these guys want to charge. Framing up 55 prints was the last project and its simply one hell of an outlay when you are not displaying for selling. Now I can't cut a length of wood perfectly neat no matter how hard I try, Its never quite perfect and I don't have the kit. I don't like off the shelf frames because buying off the internet has so far been nothing more than a return trip to the post office at my expence to send back the rubbish I've been sent.

Who do you chaps use if buying "off the shelf" frames. Made of wood, real wood with real glass.

Has anyone thought about doing a members bulk purchase of mounting materials etc?
Old 30th May 2013, 07:42 PM
Friend

In the psat I had my frames made by a reputable framer in Birmingham, he worked for the major galleries in the city and was inexpensive.

They cut a profile from Sapele and made me 80_ framewhich I stained myself, they supplied the glass at cost from the glass supplier as well at the backs. These frames have been used many times, I keep spare glass and can easily restore any small amrks etc.

Now I have a wood supplier who will cut any profile I want, he's said I can use his frame making kit, plus I can buy glass & backs at trade prices.

For the odd one offs I use The Range a Midlands and South West household store, theit frames are so cheap it's impossible to make anything for their price, they aren't real wood but very realistic, made in china I guess.

I have an older large set of black frames (wood) and these again are eay to restore if they get damaged, just clean up and spray with satin black paint

There's a couple of sizes in both sets. My main set of frames were covered by the Gallery's artist payments, plus I've had funding towards production costs, (film,transport, processing & printing), in the past.

Ian
Old 30th May 2013, 08:33 PM
Friend

Call it laziness on my part as with research on FADU I might get to the answer but what happened to the frames that Dave Miller used for FADU exhibitions? Anyone remember their fate?

I vaguely recall, I think, that Dave offered them for sale when it was clear that the FADU exhibitions weren't going to run in future years but I might be wrong.

The answer might or might not help Marc depending on what happened to them.

Mike
Old 30th May 2013, 10:09 PM
Friend

Default ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

I might be moving back to London(ish) area within the next quarter and will be looking for something a little more proactive than looking at sheep out of the Manor windows.

So, if I were to suggest for example, that FADU members all sent me their best work, and since FADU members already own a bunch of frames. Who has the bottle to chip in, and lets set up a pop up shop.

I do like the idea of a constant gallery for all members. Even if you don't want to sell prints. I am sure, with not a lot of money spread between everyone and more so, strength in numbers when it comes to online marketing. It might survive for a short while. Who knows. Who would be interested in such a money drain? My current area is looking like a move to St Albans.
Old 31st May 2013, 08:02 AM
Friend

Why do you think that framers are not entitled to earn a reasonable living?

I am a framer and have been for over 30 years and I can tell you it is not easy to make a living.
Materials are expensive, there is rent to pay, as well as other business costs, insurance heating transport Etc.

As you say you do not have the kit (professional equipment is a expensive and needs maintaining), cannot do the job properly yourself, buy cheap and get rubbish, but resent somebody that is skilled charging a fair rate for a good job
Old 31st May 2013, 08:17 AM
Friend

As an ex-framer I have to agree with Ian. As with any bespoke service, you are paying for the labour and expertise of the craftsman. Having said that, I found that the main components of the cost passed on to the customer were overheads and—assuming they are of a decent quality—often pricey materials.

A cheaper alternative would be mass produced (and by definition low quality) frames and mounts. But if you want to do justice to all your hours of hard work in the darkroom and want something tailor-made then it's only fair to give the 'tailor' his due.

As for Caribbean holidays, my framer's wages would barely have covered the bus fare to Margate.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:21 AM
Friend

It's worth bearing in mind and I'm sure Ian Marsh & Michael will agree that it's probably a good idea to talk to a framer about quantity. They can do a better deal on 60 frames than the od one or two.

The cheap imported frames have forced many UK framers to close, I'd guess nearly 2/3rds have closed around me over the past few years. The better cheap frames are fine for use in a place where they will rarely be moved but they won't stand up to the constant use for exhibitions. Some are so poor they bow when you hang them.

I've had my main set of frames for nearly twenty years - they've been used a few dozen times, so when you take that into account I've had my money's worth from them and they are still in good condition.

Ian
Old 31st May 2013, 10:33 AM
Friend

The frames Dave Miller had for sale were bought by the Yorkshire Monochrome Group & are currently been used for our annual exhibition which tours Yorkshire for the next 12 months. I think it depends what you want from a frame. For home use something fitting but I sometimes think exhibitions are spoiled by over elaborate framing taking the eye away from the print. I think they should not attract too much attention & make a very secondary contribution to the exhibition. Still need to be well made so as not to draw the eye for their shabby appearance.
Old 31st May 2013, 10:59 AM
Friend

Some galleries offer frame rental - or loan if the work's being shown in their space, and there's commercial rental as well like this one.

It might be worth asking around.

Ian
Old 31st May 2013, 03:13 PM
Friend

I use aluminium mouldings, cut to size by Lion Picture Framing's chop service. Economical and smart. I buy glass from a merchant and assemble everything myself. The only downside is they tend to scratch and mark quite easily so need to be handled with care.

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/moulding/al...mouldings.aspx

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies