Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2014, 09:36 AM
Friend

For horizontal rectangular 6x4.5 negatives the Bronica ETRS system seems to be plentifully available at reasonable prices.
I use Bronica SQ with a 6x4.5 back for occasional still life, I'd acquire a couple more if I were a landscape worker, and have found it reliable.
I have no knowledge of Bronica's GS 6x7 system except that it never seemed to take off and is awkward to handle vertically and rather pricey.
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glover View Post
Good points about the size and weight of RB vs 5x4. If I had the enlarger for it, I'd like as not skip straight to that format myself for the type of shooting I'd be using an RB for (slow, thoughtful, mounted on a tripod).
In my case one of the disadvantages of most MF cameras is lack of movements, I'd just like the ability to have a little front tilt & rise/fall.

A small Speed or Crown Graphic taking a Graflok type 67 back would be useful with a 2 or 3 lenses. I have a small Busch Pressman but it's not designed for inter-changeable lens boards (in the field). It's 4 screw head bolts to remove the lens panel, also a narrow panel limiting lens choice.

It's one way to get some of the flexibility of a Large format camera with 120 film if you don't have a 5x4 (or larger) enlarger. They are also easier to use hand held than a Mamiya RB67

Ian
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:39 AM
Friend

Mamiya 6, great lenses, lightweight, easy to hold steady so tripod not always needed & can be cropped to 645 in landscape or portrait format without losing quality. Same goes for all 6x6, very versatile format.
Old 22nd February 2014, 12:03 PM
Friend

I have several MF cameras all of which have +/_
645 - Pentax N2 - + superb ergonomics, near 35mm handling, auto focus if needed, accurate metering system and controls, excellent lenses mostly 67/77mm filters, all high image quality, - no interchangeable backs
645 - Mamiya Super - + interchangeable backs, accurate metering head, excellent lenses (slightly more contrasty than Pentax), also 24mm fisheye and 50mm shift lenses available, many take 58mm filters, high image quality, easy mirror lock up lever, some bargains around, - not so easy or intuitive to handle as Pentax

6x6 Mamiya 330f TLR and 3 lenses 55,80,135 - lo cost package - capable of excellent results, auto shutter cocking when winding on, in lens shutters, TLR good for infra red - viewing lens not filtered, -less easy to focus and handle,(can use a magnifying hood) - all depends on your eyesight!.

6x7 Mamiya RB - +great camera built like a main battle tank, range of excellent lenses at reasonable cost, mostly 77mm filters use grads etc, prism viewing available, high image quality, interchangeable backs, no batteries, - interlock system requires separate film wind on and shutter cocking actions (the RZ automates this). Mirror Up control can be tricky even with dual cable release
Not ideal for carrying around too far, especially if you also do digital!

6x7 Mamiya 7-2, + excellent lightweight kit, excellent lenses ( 43,65,80,150mm all good) 58 & 67mm filters, superb image quality almost as good as 5x4, can use easily for Infra Red as is rangefinder -metering can be quirky - really needs hand held meter for accuracy, roller blind mechanism for lens changing can be a nuisance - one forgets the sequence and misses the shot! Can't use "normal grad filters" unless you invest in Lee 75 cut down series, there is a 210mm lens with separate viewfinder but many say it is best avoided

6x9 - is a lovely negative size - I have an old Arca Swiss with movements and a couple of lenses and produces superb negatives - it is relatively lightweight although not the fastest shooter in town!

Hope that helps you in coming to a decision
Old 22nd February 2014, 01:11 PM
Friend

To be fair plenty if folk manage to use grad filters successfully on a mamiya 7, I use normal Lee 100mm sizes fine.
Old 22nd February 2014, 03:13 PM
Friend

I would favour the Mamiya 7 due to weight over the RB/Z alone. The 6x7 format also enlargers to 10x8 very well, rather than a 6x4.5. I have used a RB and RZ for years but they are best for studio work rather than walking around the countryside with.
Old 22nd February 2014, 04:24 PM
Friend

Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7. The 6 is smaller and lighter. I had a complete 3-lens 6MF system until recently which I'd owned since the mid 90s without any issues - superb lenses and ease of use and compact enough to fit in a small shoulder bag. Interlocks for everything exept leaving the lens cap on! I have also owned RB and Mamiya TLR systems but sold them on for reasons of size, weight, and general fiddliness.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 23rd February 2014, 06:40 AM
Friend

I also favour the Mamiya 7 i have the 80 and 65mm lenses which are sufficient for my needs, its such an easy camera to carry round and the lenses are sharp.
Richard
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:29 AM
Friend

Default Pentax 6x7

Hi.
Nobody seems to have mentioned the Pentax 6x7 which is an SLR ( albeit on steroids) in the same type of format as most 35mm SLR's. I recently moved up to MF and purchased a used 6x7 and two lens's quite cheaply. The quality of the images it produces is quite outstanding needing obviously a lot less enlarging to obtain prints (compared to 35mm). Mine has the metering prism which seems to be very accurate and Lock up mirror facility (which I have not found the need to use yet). Main disadvantage is the size and weight of the camera, it really is a big heavy brute, the advantage of which is that it makes you think how much kit you really need to take out with you. The choice of lens's available is quite large and unless you choose the long telephoto's reasonably priced.
Maybe worth a consideration!!!!!!!!!!!
regards Russ
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:52 PM
Friend

Might be a big beast Russ but having seen one and held it I bet you look like the "Bee's Knees" when using it. It's what makes older members of the public say: "Now that's a proper camera" as they do of the 5x4 press cameras as well.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies