Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st July 2014, 10:00 PM
Friend

I loaded my first film in 20 years yesterday and did it with eyes open, 'watching' what I was doing, when I tore the tape holding the film to the paper I saw 2 flashes of light? must have been some static buildup.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:21 PM
Friend

I've heard about static like that. I tend to pull the tape slowly to remove it. I work mostly with a changing bag, so it could be flashing every time and I just don't see it. I haven't noticed any fogging of the film, but I suspect a big static flash would be capable of causing some fogging.
Alex
Old 1st August 2014, 08:00 PM
Friend

I close my eyes both when I'm in the darkroom and when I use a changing tent.

I find it helps me "see"

Interestingly, I had this conversation with a commercial darkroom manager and all her staff did it too while loading film in complete darkness - no matter how long they had worked there.

We might be strange - but we are all strange together.

Martin
Old 1st August 2014, 08:30 PM
Friend

It may be that the act of shutting your eyelids triggers a different cognitive process and a subconcious instinct tells you to close your eyes when you want one of your other senses to take precedence over vision.
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:35 AM
Friend

I work with my eyes open as I have to check to be sure that the room has no light getting in round the door curtain. What I find surprising is that your eyes have to get used to the black out. On a number of occasions I have noticed stray light getting in after being in the dark for half a minute or so.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 8th August 2014, 07:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I work with my eyes open as I have to check to be sure that the room has no light getting in round the door curtain. What I find surprising is that your eyes have to get used to the black out. On a number of occasions I have noticed stray light getting in after being in the dark for half a minute or so.
Sometimes it takes even longer - after half and hour or so you start to notice small light leaks.

However, I do wonder how dark our darkrooms are, I used to develop film in my darkroom, at night to minimise the possibility of stray light leakage. I would also turn out all the house lights in the vicinity.

I couldn't see a thing even after an hour or so, however, one of my cats who sneaked in with me seemed to able to navigate perfectly. I never heard him bump in to anything or me as I moved around.

It just made me wonder about how dark my darkroom is and how well adapted to the dark cats really are.

Martin
Old 9th August 2014, 04:57 AM
Friend

I have recently finished my new darkroom and i'm still plugging light leaks I think I've got them all now but the latest ones I didn't notice until I turned off the safe light during a printing session, I find this amazing after the number of times I sat there in the dark intently looking for leaks, you're right Martin it can sometimes take a long time to notice small leaks.
Richard
Old 9th August 2014, 05:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
...after half and hour or so you start to notice small light leaks.
Amateur astronomers advise forty minutes for the eyes to become fully dark-adapted.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies