Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd May 2016, 04:23 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Xtol dilutions

Hello my good friends,

I already searched in FADU and in the "general internet" but can't find a conclusive answer. Maybe you could clarify me.

- Beside economy in the developer (which last twice than stock), what are the main differences between Xtol stock and using it in dilution 1+1?

In terms of contrast, resolution, acutance, grain, etc.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:26 PM
Friend

I doubt you will see any perceptible difference between stock vs 1:1 dilutions regardless of film brand or film speed.

It's a great developer but sensitive in my view. So make sure everything is very clean from mixing to storage to use. And as far as its keeping properties go, if in any doubt, mix new especially for anything special.

I would seriously consider making it my standard developer if it was more robust but I'm curious what others will say.

So coming back to your question, I'd recommend the 1:1 dilution but there may be other factors that may influence your choice as outlined above.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 2nd May 2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:10 PM
Friend

Marty, my experience has been that it keeps very well if decanted into winebags. I have managed to keep it 2 years this way

What did you find "sensitive" about it.

I now wonder why I have never used it at other than 1+1 to see what difference it makes. I can only think that 1+1 seemed natural to me.

Based on my experience I have found it relatively easy to mix and store. Yes decanting into winebags takes a little longer but to some extent this time could shorter if I had bought a new unused 5L winebag instead of using 2x3L winebags that I had to empty by drinking the stuff

It was a nasty job but someone has to do it

Mike
Old 3rd May 2016, 12:12 PM
Friend

By sensitive I mean consistency. Batch to batch even within a batch. Perhaps my processing isn't meticulous enough but I'm happier with a liquid developer at the moment. Currently I tend to process infrequently both time and number of films wise.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 3rd May 2016, 02:03 PM
Friend

Thanks, Marty I now understand. I can't say I have ever experienced any consistency problem with Xtol but if you have I can understand your concerns

Mike
Old 6th May 2016, 10:46 AM
Friend

Thanks for your replies. I tend to accumulate some film to develop before making the Xtol from the powder. This way I don't store the solution for much time avoiding risk of "expiring". I store the solution in those accordion bottles.

I also can't perceive any significant difference between stock and diluted but I'm a beginner.

Thanks once again
Old 6th May 2016, 05:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceraunius View Post
I also can't perceive any significant difference between stock and diluted but I'm a beginner.

Thanks once again
If you see no difference then unless you are in danger of not being able to use it quickly enough, I'd use 1+1. That way it is much more economical

I have always been satisfied with 1+1 but must admit to never having tried Xtol at stock

Mike
Old 6th May 2016, 05:34 PM
Friend

Xtol is at its best replenished but this isn't ideal for a beginner. This is extremely economic, very consistent etc and gives the best grain, tonality, resolution etc.

1+1 will give better acutance, resolution & sharpness, you won't spot the slight difference in grain

If you don't use a lot of film Xtol as Marty says is probably not a particularly good choice.

Ian
Old 22nd September 2016, 02:35 PM
Friend

Thank you all and sorry for resurrecting this post from the dead.

Will use 1+1 from now on since it has some advantages cited here (and more economical). Not comfortable yet to try replenish. When I do Xtol, usually I already have some film ready to be developed.

Today I will develop HP5@1600 that I shot in York (UK). Hope it goes well

Thanks once again.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies