Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd May 2020, 10:58 AM
Friend

Default 220film backs

I have been asked a question I do not know the answer to, but I told my mate I knew some people who may be able to help. He does not use a computer so he cannot ask for himself.

He has a Bronica ETRSi which he has had for perhaps 25 years and one of his film backs has failed. (Terminally) Even used ones are priced very close to £100, however! He can get a very good almost mint 220 film back for half that and was asking can 120 film be used in a 220 film back?

A simple question which will no doubt stir up masses of replies.

(hopefully).
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:04 AM
Friend

Sadly, John, I am familiar with Pentax inserts only but hopefully there are some here who know the answer.

Mike
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:35 AM
Friend

I am only guessing but I suspect the difference in the lenths of film would mess-up the frame spacing / counting on the 220 back. This could well result in over-lapping frames etc.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:35 AM
Friend

Hi John,
Just remembered that we had this recently here:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...light=220+film
Post #17 by Quendil gives the answer for the Bronica: Yes! :-)
Frank
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:35 PM
Friend

Yes worked fine for me

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:09 PM
Friend

Worked for me too - Bronica ETRS
Old 24th May 2020, 07:18 AM
Friend

I posted in the thread that PanFrank referred to.

"The 6x4.5 back for my Bronica SQ outfit is for 220 film and I use it with 120. It rolls onto the take-up spool a bit tighter sometimes but that's not a problem for rollfilm and not as tight as some films I've used in the past such as ORWO. Just keep winding and firing after exposure number twelve until you feel it go slack."

I also have a 220 6x6 back but not had to use that with 120 as I've a couple of 120 backs. The 6x4.5 back was sent by accident I wanted a 120 but before returning it I searched around for some 220 B+W film and got the last stocks of TX320 from Process Supplies as I had a Yashica 124 that will shoot 220. still got some left, out of date but working.
Old 6th June 2020, 07:13 PM
Friend

I have just bought a 220 back ,hopefully to use with 35mm film ,so looking forward to trying it out as I have never shot 35mm film like that before.

also I was wondering ,when I leave 120 film to get near expiry date ,sometimes I get a bit of mottling on the neg from the backing paper ,and I have notest more and more people complaining about it ,even Ilford have been looking in to it .now I know that we wont see 220 being made in the near future ,or maybe never but if it was would this solve the damage that moisture and backing paper are causing on the film ,just wondering ..
Old 7th June 2020, 07:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have just bought a 220 back ,hopefully to use with 35mm film ,so looking forward to trying it out as I have never shot 35mm film like that before.
Have fun! I’ve tried it recently in 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7 cameras and whilst it’s a bit of a novelty it doesn’t hurt to have a play sometimes

https://davewhenhamphotography.wordp...other-scratch/
Old 7th June 2020, 11:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
Have fun! I’ve tried it recently in 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7 cameras and whilst it’s a bit of a novelty it doesn’t hurt to have a play sometimes

https://davewhenhamphotography.wordp...other-scratch/
I've just checked out your web links Dave, and enjoyed reading some of your well written and photo illustrated prose.

I think it's a great idea to put 35mm film through a 120 or 220 back and I REALLY like the sprocket holes on the prints! I'm sure some would add them digitally, but it's great to know that they were done 'in camera' and I think that they really add something to the right picture - a bit like how black film rebate does similar on b/w prints, with the right print of course.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies