Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th April 2020, 04:16 PM
Friend

Alex, I do recall, I think, reading that moon shots have to have shortish exposures (not sure how short) or the moon changes from the shape of a ball used at Ibrox or Parkhead to at least beginning to resemble one used at Murrayfield

Mike
Old 9th April 2020, 05:22 PM
Friend

I've just processed mine and they look good. I'll print them after Easter. There was a slight haze corona around the moon and I've managed to get a silhouetted tree branch that I didn't notice at the time! I exposed on the basis that the moon is actually a sunlit landscape so, with FP4+ rated at 80 I gave it 1/60 at f11 and bracketed one stop either side. The middle one looks good! Watch this space for some print scans.
Old 9th April 2020, 08:15 PM
Friend

That’s a good point, Mike. Given the brightness, however, my longest exposure was only one second. I metered the Moon itself, using a spot meter, and placed it on Zone VII. That seemed to work ok for exposure, but I couldn’t see both the Moon and the foreground in focus at the same time. Like you Rob, I caught some foreground branches in silhouette, one even had a bird on it, but there is an overall lack of sharpness. A bit of research, and some practice is needed before the next attempt. It was an enjoyable project, though, and certainly worth another go. I’m looking forward to seeing your results, Rob.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th April 2020, 08:52 PM
Friend

Developed my roll today, got zip, a whole roll of nothing, apart from 6 where I let the camera meter the scene, so I suspect the moon will be blown out on those.

Reckon I might have another try in the next night or two if we get a clear night.

Definitely need more practice.

Ian
Old 16th May 2020, 10:08 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I finally managed to get into my darkroom and have printed one of my super moon pictures.

Most of the film was fogged because the catch of the back of the camera was or became unclipped.

However, the darker streak across the moon in the print was caused by wisps of cloud around at the time.

As I said in my previous post:
'I spent a happy hour at the top of my field taking photos with a 500mm mirror lens I picked up in Capetown ages ago and an inherited X2 converter on may Pentax MX and Delta 100. I used adjusted and bracketed exposures measured with a spot meter.'

Taken at f8, 1 sec
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Moon.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	3774  
Old 16th May 2020, 03:18 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike and good info. I am glad you gave the exposure and aperture. I had a terrible feeling that I had read somewhere that even 1 sec would allow the moon to elongate slightly as it moves faster than most think across the sky but no sign of elongation here

Mike
Old 17th May 2020, 01:17 PM
Print Exchange Manager

The aperture on the mirror lens is fixed at f8 and so not much choice. Use of the x2 converter increases the exposure necessary a bit: covered by bracketing.

Mike
Old 25th May 2020, 07:43 PM
Friend

I finally managed to print one of my Moon negatives.Click image for larger version

Name:	Moon 3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	3790
Alex
Old 25th May 2020, 09:32 PM
Friend

Default A new Project

Whilst not purely photography I am compiling a family history from information I have about my forebears and relatives together with photographs and a collection of original birth certificates I have, some dating back to the mid 19th C.

Regrettably I never asked my parents anything about my recent family and there are lots of things I would like to know, like who was my maternal grandmothers 2nd husband. There is absolutely no record of him at all. (Her 1st husband was lost at sea) When I asked my mothers sister about him just before she died, all I got in reply was "We don't talk about him". Then the atmosphere became distinctly icy! Oooops!

I will not be scanning all the old photographs instead will be photographing them in B&W so there will be a permanent copy should the originals be accidentally damaged.

The final result will be assembled in a book form and be part of a Christmas present for my grandchildren to ponder over and ask me questions just to keep my family history alive.
Old 25th May 2020, 10:08 PM
Friend

that is a very interesting point about family and photographs
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies