Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th May 2020, 05:58 PM
Friend

Default Toning

just rec'd today's email from Firstcall and they have a starter / trial kit for toning.

https://www.firstcall-photographic.c...eid=9162b52d68

With at least another 2 week "indoors" might be worth a go, just depends if I need to buy a load of other stuff.

Never done any toning, what are the basics ?

How to bleach for sepia ? What paper is best etc, etc, etc

All tips, tricks and opinions welcome.

I could ask Mr Google, but prefer to ask here as info will be accurate.

Ian
Old 15th May 2020, 07:07 PM
Friend

For sepoia toning, easy, bleach I use at 1/2 strength, the rate given is norma;ly 1 in 9, I mix 50ml bleach to 1 950 ml of water to make 1 liter, it gives me more control over the bleach, with full strength the image goes so quickly that it is gone before you can snatch it out, with 1/2 strength you can control how much you want to lose, for instance you can just bleach back the highlights, and get a different look, or bleach back more, the more you bleach the deeper the sepia tone, If using a two part toner, then again I use the toner at half strength, same dilution as bleach, and would put 40ml of the part 3 to the liter of part 2, which again gives me a nice warm true sepia tone, most paper's will tone, either RC or FB, I have found that the Kentmere VC select is about the best, but MG 4 tones well as does the FB Classic, all done in normal daylight, and is great fun, and for a trial all you need is the starter kit, and some prints, prints must be wet, so if using dry prints than soak them for 5 or 10 minutes, and wash after bleaching until the yellow bleach is gone, normally around 5 minutes, Have fun, it's simpler than it sounds
Richard
Old 16th May 2020, 10:25 AM
Friend

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the reply and info.

Much appreciated

Ian
Old 16th May 2020, 12:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
just rec'd today's email from Firstcall and they have a starter / trial kit for toning.

Ian
A good idea on their part to sell a trial, multi colour toning pack, at not too expensive a kit. As you say Ian, there is of course the cost of p/p to be added on top, if one is not buying enough other items. Good that they've added blue and red / copper toners to the pack, alongside the much use sepia. I've always wanted to try the red / copper toner, having received a few prints in various exchanges that have been put in this, and I like the effect it gives.

I've done a few sepia prints in the past, which is really easy to do, and can add something (as all toners will) to the 'right' print.

I don't know, but it might even be cheaper, if you want to try sepia toning, to buy the individual chemicals, in small amounts, off of ebay. There are loads of formulas around and I think there is only three chemicals required.

I've also meant to try toning some prints in Potassium Chrome Alum , which looks like it gives a nice tone, if the screen pictures that I've seen are accurate. I'll have to do it outside, so an extension lead and a tray warmer will have to be used as it requires it to be 50C to work. I've already got the PCA, which I use occasionally as a hardener, when I use Liquid Emulsion.

If it gets nicer over the next few days, I will definitely (now there's a promise! ) try it out and report back, hopefully with a pic or two.

Terry S
Old 16th May 2020, 07:45 PM
Friend

I think I recall seeing a similar offer in the past. It may have been Firstcall that had it. Not a bad write up by Firstcall either or price but yes if the standard fairly hefty postage charge applies this does ramp it up ( a good politician's phrase there)

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies