Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2009, 08:45 PM
Friend

Default So, what do you do with your prints?

I find that I have loads of prints knocking about the place. A lot get given away, some get sold and most get in the way around the house/darkish room until I get sick of the sight of them when I have noticed all the flaws and then they go in the Aga.
I do keep some of them 'properly' with an eye to putting a little group of snaps together for a show. But then get distracted and go off in another direction of snappery and the prints pile up.
What do you do?
Old 15th September 2009, 08:47 PM
Friend

Much the same as you but I don't tend to sell any and it is harder to burn the glass and tin
Old 15th September 2009, 08:56 PM
Friend

I'm glad to see I'm not along in having this problem.
Old 16th September 2009, 06:04 AM
Friend

The better one’s get framed and hung at home; until better one’s come along. They are then retired to Nomad storage boxes to await a periodic cull.
Old 16th September 2009, 07:09 AM
Friend

Much the same for me...

I suppose this prompts a wider question "why do we photograph".

Personally, I will always get a kick out of using older cameras, developing a film and snatching precious moments in the darkroom. Producing a unique image that pleases me first of all. It's great if my family likes the resulting prints enough to hang on the wall - and the generally do - or I get the odd favourable comment from FADU members.

I love to photograph the everyday, the overlooked and try (emphasis on that word!) to end up with a print that makes the ordinary into the beautiful, through composition, lighting and print quality. To see what something looks like when it's photographed to quote another photographer.

I could go on but I've got work to do, in between quotes, preparing method statements and planning site visits I'll day dream about photography.
Old 16th September 2009, 07:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiesmier View Post
I find that I have loads of prints knocking about the place. A lot get given away, some get sold and most get in the way around the house/darkish room until I get sick of the sight of them when I have noticed all the flaws and then they go in the Aga.
I do keep some of them 'properly' with an eye to putting a little group of snaps together for a show. But then get distracted and go off in another direction of snappery and the prints pile up.
What do you do?
Much the same TBH but I don't worry about this until I run out of storage space in my print boxes. when it gets to this stage I have to get trid of a few to make space for the upcomming masses

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th September 2009, 08:17 AM
Friend

Some get put in Albums to show friends but now I have a" mobile gallery" to display my prints..

They then go on tour, the wall in the second bedroom then after a while move into the hall, then down stairs into the lounge.
Old 16th September 2009, 09:07 AM
Friend

Loads of duffers in old paper boxes, the rest make it through to a ring-binder and when I've lived with those for a while, they get printed properly and popped into Silverprint print sleeves in an archival box. Only ever framed two.
This being said, I recently joined Scottish Photographers with a view towards maybe going one step beyond looking at my prints, at home and am going to a portfolio session on Sunday (gulp)
Phil
Old 16th September 2009, 09:10 AM
Friend

Glad I'm not alone. I have several boxes of mounted prints, and numerous old paper boxes full with unmounted prints. My problem is I struggle to throw anything away, although I have thinned out the mounted stuff a lot recently, most of it still takes up a large amount of our spare room.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 16th September 2009, 10:34 AM
Friend

In the recycle bin to make ink jet papers.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies