Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th December 2008, 07:49 AM
Friend

Default Steaming Prints

During one of the lecture portions of a darkroom printing class I took in 2000 the instructor Patrick Jablonski, rep'ed by Ansel Adams Galleries, told us about steaming fiber prints. Once the print is processed and dry, get your kettle whistling hot, then hold the print about 5 inches from the steam spout moving the emulsion side of the print around covering each area for about 5 seconds. The idea is that the quick swelling from heat followed by fast cooling to room temperature would 'tighten' the emulsion for a pleasing, sharpening effect on the image.. Now, I didn't get the feeling that it was something that he did regularly, in fact I'm sure he doesn't, but if one is not inclined to tone or doesn't have have the proper ventilated space to tone, then you might try it. I remember thinking that the print did have a 'thighter' look and became slightly more glossy,.. I think.. also this was before I had a dry mount press to flatten them and after steaming I could easily 'massage' down the curled up corners of 4 or 5 prints at a time (warmest on top / emulsion out) as the prints cooled and they'd stay fairly flat. Anyone else try this or heard of this steaming technique?
Old 15th December 2008, 08:34 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=..... Anyone else try this or heard of this steaming technique?[/QUOTE]

Not at all, how intriguing, I shall give it a try sometime.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th December 2008, 08:59 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Krag View Post
Anyone else try this or heard of this steaming technique?
I have seen it demonstrated some years ago by John Davies on a weekend course. He used it on Agfa Record Rapid to bring out the gloss finish on air dried prints. I'm not sure that he mentioned any sharpening of the image. I have used it since and it seems to work quite well. I have not tried it on other papers though. I believe it can also be used to mask retouching to a degree. I think it only works on FB papers.

Bill.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:23 AM
Friend

It's a technique for increasing the gloss of prints, a side effect may be an apparent ""sharpening" of the image.
R/C prints dried with heat also exhibit a higher gloss than those dried at room temperature.
Old 15th December 2008, 01:35 PM
Friend

When I find a scuff mark or fingerprint or any sort of blemish on the print surface I steam it to remove it. The steaming increases the gloss and appears to increase sharpness but I think this is only because the increase in the gloss slightly increases contrast. When steaming I hold the mounted print about 9 to 12 inches from the steam coming from the spout of a very old kettle that has no automatic switch off. I move the print around continuously so that the the whole print recieves a burst of steam. Be careful not to expose any one area of the print to an extended birst of steam as this will melt the emulsion, yes I did manage that the first time I tried this procedure.
Old 15th December 2008, 05:13 PM
Friend

Ah, so others also note the extra glossyness and it wasn't just my imagination !
Old 15th December 2008, 07:01 PM
Friend

I was once told of a similar technique whereby a wet (not damp) print is put into a heat press between sheets of photo blotting paper - apparently I gives a slightly glossier (apparently sharper?) print. I haven't tried it as I've only just procured a heat press, but when I do I'll let you know if it works!

Rob
Old 5th January 2010, 06:44 PM
Friend

After steaming the print are you drying the print face down or face up on the drying screen?
Jacques
Old 5th January 2010, 11:31 PM
Friend

Lay the print FACE UP on a drying rack for the heated emulsion after steaming is very delicate so handle it with care and don't touch the emulsion before it is dry otherwise you are likely to leave a noticable mark. It will dry quite quickly.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:49 PM
Friend

Thank you Les.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies