Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th March 2021, 12:55 PM
Friend

I use Microphen (or it's home-brewed equivalent ID68) a lot. I use it for HP5+ which I push to EI 800. Microphen/ID68 keeps the grain to a minimum and gives a tonality that I like. I also occasionally use it to expose FP4+ at 200 with good results. I usually use it at 1:1. That said, I've been using ID11 a bit more recently, mainly because I was given a couple of 5l packs! I wish Microphen was still available in larger packs as 1l isn't particularly economical.
Old 19th March 2021, 03:03 PM
Friend

Alex hasn't given an answer yet but he may not have seen my post. It would appear that he may be one of the few that used the Ilford 10 film use and pour back and increase the dev time for each film after film 1 but in case this applies to you and your Microphen equivalent what is your method, is it the same as the Ilford increase by 10% after each film beyond the first film or is it different

Thanks

Mike
Old 19th March 2021, 03:28 PM
Friend

Sorry again guys, I just realised that my post #8 contained another cut 'n paste error regarding ID11: - o̶n̶e̶-̶s̶h̶o̶t̶ - should read 1:3

I seem to be having one of those 'Senior Moment' days today.
Old 19th March 2021, 03:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Alex hasn't given an answer yet but he may not have seen my post. It would appear that he may be one of the few that used the Ilford 10 film use and pour back and increase the dev time for each film after film 1 but in case this applies to you and your Microphen equivalent what is your method, is it the same as the Ilford increase by 10% after each film beyond the first film or is it different

Thanks

Mike
Mike
I have always used the stock method, 1st film as normal, then add 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90% for each following film, that is % of normal time, so if, as in my case,8 minutes is the first time, the, add 10,20,Ect of 8 minutes up to 90% of 8 minutes for the last film,so first film would be 8 minutes then last film would be 90% of 8 or 15.2, hope this makes sense, and If there is any difference between first and last film I can't see it, to me it makes sense, I gtet 50 films for a 5 liter pack of ID11, and I don't have any problems with keeping problems, I decant the 5 liters into 5 1 liter bottles, and I used the forth liter of 5 I mixed last august to develop the 3rd film of ten yesterday and all good
Richard
Old 19th March 2021, 03:54 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard. If I wasn't on a forum I'd have just followed Ilford's method as you do and based on your experience would never have given it anymore thought but I saw the problems that Big Paul reported when he used Microphen the Ilford way which was he experienced serious over-development.

However that may have been a one-off for a variety of reasons and your experience and that of Alex when he hopefully will reply, are the same and I am good to go with the Ilford method

As far as I can tell Big Paul abandoned Microphen for understandable reasons given his experience so I don't think he tried the alternative use and pour back method either

I can understand this because a bad experience when you first try something certainly puts you off

Mike
Old 19th March 2021, 05:51 PM
Friend

It is many years since I used Microphen, but I used the Ilford stock method and can't remember any problems, and in the last 18 months I have used ID11 a lot more than rodinal, using the Ilford stock method without problems, but you must leave the developer for 24 hours at least to mature before using it, same goes for microphen. the main reason for not using Microphen is that it only comes in 1 litre packets, if it was in 5 litre packets I would use it and get full box speed out of my Fomapan
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies