Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd February 2021, 05:28 AM
New User

Default contact printing frame

Hello, contact printing frame's look really expensive, so I thought I'd make my own. I have a question regarding the glass, does it have to be a specific type? I have some float glass, from framing, so has a slight green tint to it, will this affect the processing?

Many thanks,

Neil.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard.

Glass blocks UV-B but allows most UV-A through. I believe wavelengths in the UV-A range are what alternative processes require so pretty much any glass should do the job. A green tint should not be an issue as UV wavelengths are a long way from green.

However, a green tint might affect silver based variable contrast papers as they use green to control the low-contrast exposure but I don't know if the very feint tint in window glass would be enough to make a noticeable difference.

That's the theory, but I do not use alt. procs so I leave it to others to provide the practical!

The only caveat I might make is that window glass breaks in dangerous ways so if it will be used by little hands, perhaps go for toughened safety glass.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by Bob; 22nd February 2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:57 PM
Friend

Yeah, I'd recommend that you seek out a local glazier and get a bit of toughened glass as well. I did this many moons ago and it didn't cost much more than 'ordinary' glass for sale.

Terry S
Old 22nd February 2021, 02:09 PM
Friend

I tried to re-glaze some old frames myself using float glass bought for picture frames. I couldn’t cut it accurately, so I took the wooden frames to a professional picture framer. He cut several pieces of glass to fit, so that I have spares.
It was just standard picture frame glass, and works fine for normal contacts. I haven’t tried any alternative process with these frames.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22nd February 2021, 02:38 PM
Friend

Picture frame glass tends to be quite thin.
A thicker glass might be more suitable considering the bumping around that the contact frame might experience during use.

Cheers.
Old 22nd February 2021, 03:12 PM
Friend

The frames I have are only 4x5. If it’s something like 8x10, or larger, a heavier glass would be best.
I can recommend the Printfile model which, I think, is 10x12. It’s actually quite reasonably priced compared to others.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:19 PM
New User

Fantastic, thanks for the prompt replies, I've done a bit of framing, so can cut the glass to size, but it sounds like the 3mm glass I have will be a bit too thin. I'll look for some thicker stuff. Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies