Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th March 2021, 11:56 AM
Friend

In my experience, papers don't react to developer as film. While with film you can extend developing time to compensate underexposoure (pushing), in papers, extending developing time gives deeper blacks and more detail in highlights. Taking this in account, I always use the maximun recommended time for each paper: 3 minutes for FB and 2 minutes for RC (I'm using Dektol). But, the more important thing is to keep consistence...
Old 15th March 2021, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Interestingly, I recently read (in a book, but I forget which one - it would have been a reputable writer...) that pulling the paper early, while it may not give max-black, can be useful as you suggest Marty. I have not tried it myself. I must have read it previously but your mentioning the idea reminded me.
Old 15th March 2021, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
I use ID-78 since Neutol-WA is no longer available (here at least). <snip>.
Neutol WA is now made by Adox - if you can get Adox chemicals in Oz...
Old 15th March 2021, 03:44 PM
Friend

I normally give 3mins development for Ilford FB paper in Ilford PQ. On the subject of print consistency, in his book Gradient Light, Eddie Ephraums mentions a factorial development system for maintaining print quality throughout a session. He suggests using a factor of 6, and based on the average emergence time of an image @20C of 30seconds. ie: 30 x 6 = 180 secs. It works well as your developer ages and the emergence time extends to say 40sec. ie: 40 x 6 = 240secs. It’s more or less what Bob mentioned in his first post.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 15th March 2021, 03:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Neutol WA is now made by Adox - if you can get Adox chemicals in Oz...
The formula for Neutol WA is very similar to a concentraed liquid version of ID-78 where the Sodium Carbonate is replaced by Potassium Carbonate and Sodium or Potassium Hydroxide to aid sulubility. The only significant difference is for cost reasons Agfa used less Carbonate and a higher proportion of Hydroxide (than Ilford liquid concentrate developers) as it's cheaper.

Ian
Old 15th March 2021, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Thanks Ian - I have the ingredients (your site was the top result on google ) and I'm nearly out of Neutol WA. Worth a try.
Old 15th March 2021, 08:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Thanks Ian - I have the ingredients (your site was the top result on google ) and I'm nearly out of Neutol WA. Worth a try.
I've used both Ian's versions (standard and conc) of ID78 and they're excellent - nice tones, good capacity and long tray life. My standard developing time is 3 minutes at 20 degC.
Old 16th March 2021, 05:20 AM
Friend

Dear photographers, please keep in mind - if you are on the soft (yellow) side of multigrade papers the maximum black is reduced. Th effect of contrast control is made by two (or three) layers with different spectral sensitivity. At maximum yellows you use only one of them.

I got a few boxes of old but still ok Ilford paper of gradation 1. It is fascinating to see that I can get decent prints form that, with deep black in it.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies