Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th July 2011, 06:43 PM
Friend

B+W magazine is now just another digital mag
The rules for the comp this year is email a low res jpeg picture and if it
gets shortlisted, send the photo in with a high res tiff file, what does that
tell you
Infact they dont have readers letters anymore, probably all the complaints
from film users
The best thing to do is invest the money on film chemicals etc
paddy
Old 16th July 2011, 07:04 PM
Friend

I stopped buying B&W about a year ago, as other have said it's now just another digital mag. When I lived in the US, I subscribed to Lens Work, fabulous print quality and not an advert to be seen. Too expensive for over here and now with lots of digital work.

Martin
Old 16th July 2011, 08:00 PM
Friend

I would eagerly and happily subscribe again to a B&W magazine / Journal if it covered "Silver / analogue / traditional " photography
I still "mourn " the passing of "BWAP" : The Black & White Art Photographer", an outstanding vision by China Hamilton and supported by many "traditional" photographers and experts such as Liam Lawless.
Old 16th July 2011, 08:24 PM
Friend

[QUOTEI still "mourn " the passing of "BWAP" : The Black & White Art Photographer", an outstanding vision by China Hamilton and supported by many "traditional" photographers and experts such as Liam Lawless.[/QUOTE]

I never came across that. I'll ask him, he has two facebook profiles.
Old 16th July 2011, 08:40 PM
Friend

I would love to publish a journal, or magazine, based on non-digital photography and its practitioners. Perhaps along the lines of early Aperture. I don't think I'd make any money though... but I'd still like to do it. FADU mag maybe?
Old 16th July 2011, 10:07 PM
Friend

I still look at some magazines like the BJP and Aperture, as they sometimes provide ideas for applications and experimentation. But if you expect photographic magazines to just run articles about film and darkroom techniques, then I think you will be disappointed, as technology has moved on. I am not allowed to discuss just how beneficial I think this is on this site. However, as I have mentioned before, I do not regard digital as an enemy or an either/or situation, as it is a wonderful additional tool to enhance photographic practice. If the moderators of this site had a less tunnel vision approach, then perhaps we could broaden our discussion of approaches to photographic possibilities to include wet processes in the context of 21st century technology.
Old 16th July 2011, 10:54 PM
Friend

In response to Cliveh's comments, I think most photography magazines would focus more on the kit - whatever that kit is - than the end result, i.e. photographs, which is one of my main criticisms of magazines.

In all fairness, though, I think this is true of any interest / hobby magazines, although I do wonder if creative writing magazines "review" the latest pens and word processors.

When it comes to ideas and inspiration, the only kind of thing I remember in magazines was the "It's Spring, so let's go photograph some lambs and daffodils" kind of twaddle.

I find one of my main sources of inspiration the work of others, and not the equipment they use: precious little of the former and an excess of the latter in most photography magazines I used to read.

The main thing that amateur photography magazines seem to teach you is how to be an amateur photographer: drool over the kit, dream of being a "pro" and take some nice stereotypical photographs.

Regarding the D-word and FADU, I don't quite get the point: this is Film and Darkroom User, isn't it? I don't expect to find much / anything about digital photography here, just as I wouldn't expect to find much about film in a "Digital and Computer User Forum." I don't want to start a mud slinging match regarding the digital vs. film debate, except to say that they're not the same, which is why some of us have gone back to film.
Old 17th July 2011, 12:37 AM
Friend

I can't understand the constant sniping at the no digital rule on FADU how many times does it have to be pointed out that these are the rules all of us signed up to and agreed to follow, it's not anti digital just pro film and darkroom, and as pointed out previously there are a plethora of sites dedicated to discussion on digital matters we are all welcome to partake in.
It is not helpful or in the spirit of FADU to criticise anybody for pointing out infringements of the clearly stated rules.

Neil
Old 17th July 2011, 12:55 AM
Friend

I still subscribe to Silvershotz and Lenswork. They are photography magazines, not camera magazines, and remain a good source of inspiration.

Ian
Old 17th July 2011, 06:08 AM
Friend

Default cuckle vision

tunnel vision , I would say this site is a breath of fresh air compared to some of the cr*p on the internet. it has been said before,if you dont like it, you can allways go somewhere else.
if we did not have people like dave, a very important part of photography could be lost forever.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies