Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd March 2020, 09:04 PM
Friend

Default Half-frame cameras - surprising quality?

I've been using enforced darkroom time to catch up on a bit of printing from negs I made a couple of years ago at a FADU weekend get-together in the West Midlands. These were taken on a Fujica Drive half-frame (24x16mm) camera on FP4+ developed in Adox APH09 (an older version of Rodinal). I have to say I'm surprised how good the results are. Although these were only printed up to 5x7in they would hold up on 10x8. I'm thinking of making some images using the camera in 'panoramic' mode - taking 3 shots across a scene and printing it as I would a panoramic made on a medium format camera with a 35mm panoramic back (a tryptich?). This would give an effective negative size of 24x52mm, albeit with 2 2mm frame line across it. So theoretically medium format quality from half-frame!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Birmingham half frame 2.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	3677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kidderminster half frame 1.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	3678   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVR Half frame 1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	3679   Click image for larger version

Name:	SVR half frame 2.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	3680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Birmingham half frame 1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	3681  

Old 22nd March 2020, 09:35 PM
Friend

These are great pictures Rob, whatever the format, but I am very impressed with the quality from the small negatives.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23rd March 2020, 01:57 PM
Friend

Nicely done Rob! I like the first one, and the one out of the train window.

My father used a Robot Berning model II 24x24 camera for years (not quite half-frame, but close), and he printed some wonderfully sharp and contrasty images from it. Really great lens -- a CZJ Biotar. I have the camera sitting on my desk now. It's wonderful design -- mechanical motor drive(!) using a wind-up spring. Remarkable for a 1940's design. I would use it, but it does not take std. 35mm cassettes, so I have to figure out how to load it. And the shutter needs service...

Your post is making me want to get this thing working again.
Old 23rd March 2020, 02:22 PM
Friend

I really like some of the pictures that you've posted Rob, but can I suggest (to you and others) to use the 'Auto Levels' button, if using P/shop. This will adjust the contrast.

I've just done it to the pictures in your first message, so I can see them all at their best and they really sparkle on my screen now.

The only other person who I know had a half frame camera, was a guy at my previous photo club. He used to take colour slides and put them into the competitions. The only thing was, that they only projected onto about half of the screen, as it was set up for bigger full frame 35mm slides.

Terry S
Old 25th March 2020, 09:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I really like some of the pictures that you've posted Rob, but can I suggest (to you and others) to use the 'Auto Levels' button, if using P/shop. This will adjust the contrast.

I've just done it to the pictures in your first message, so I can see them all at their best and they really sparkle on my screen now.

The only other person who I know had a half frame camera, was a guy at my previous photo club. He used to take colour slides and put them into the competitions. The only thing was, that they only projected onto about half of the screen, as it was set up for bigger full frame 35mm slides.

Terry S
Thanks for that Terry. TBH they look OK on my screen. I don't have PS - these were just resized in MS Picture. I try to keep them as close to the original print as possible but I guess screens differ.

A bit about the Camera: It's a nifty little thing. Solidly made, with an excellent 6-element f.28 28mm lens (equivalent to about 40mm on a 35mm camera. It's got a quirky clockwork motordrive which means I get through 48 or 72 exposures a bit quicker. A digisnap of it below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fujica Drive 1.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	3682  
Old 25th March 2020, 10:09 AM
Friend

Default 1/2 Frame

It is years since I used a half frame and the last one I had was an Olympus D

More comprehensively equipped that the earlier Olympus Pen's The F1.8 lens was, and I am not exaggerating - phenomenal. It punched way above it's weight compared with others. Pan F or Kodak Technical Pan with the ultra fine grain and developed in an old Johnsons developer called Definol, would let me get up to 9,5 to 12 prints although with a 50mm enlarging lens the enlarger was at it's max capability.
Old 25th March 2020, 10:11 AM
Friend

The camera looks great, Rob. Is the 28mm the equivalent of a ‘long’ standard lens on a full frame camera?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25th March 2020, 11:35 AM
Friend

[QUOTE=alexmuir;132019]The camera looks great, Rob. Is the 28mm the equivalent of a ‘long’ standard lens on a full frame camera?
Alex

No, because the camera works in 'portrait' format it's still slightly wide. It roughly has the same coverage as a 40mm lens on 35mm. It's a great travel camera!
Old 25th March 2020, 01:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Thanks for that Terry. TBH they look OK on my screen. I don't have PS - these were just resized in MS Picture. I try to keep them as close to the original print as possible but I guess screens differ.
Hi Rob,

that's the thing with all of this digital stuff, nearly everyone's monitors look different, especially if they are not calibrated, as mine in. But if you're happy, that's all that matters.

Terry S
Old 28th March 2020, 11:44 PM
Friend

Many decades ago my younger brother bought an Olympus Pen EE (?) with a fixed focus lens, and I developed his films for him, and I was very impressed at how sharp the negs were. (Somewhat envious as well... At the time, I was using a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex with 45mm F/2.8 Tessar.)
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies