Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th September 2020, 01:26 PM
Friend

Further to Terry's suggestion, Heliopan makes a 24-30.5 step ring so you can use filters made for the 35S:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Ring_343.html

I've owned the 35SE since the early '80s, and was just given a 35TE by my mother. I will buy this little adaptor so I can use all my old filters and hood.

For you, in future should you upgrade to the 35S/SE model, then the filters will be a direct fit.
Old 8th September 2020, 02:12 PM
Friend

It's also available from Fotoimpex in Germany. Special order though.

https://www.fotoimpex.com/cameras-ac...che=1599572014
Old 10th September 2020, 07:45 AM
Friend

Default watch it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I have been looking online at Rollei 35T cameras.
I bought a Rollei 35T from a market stall for £15 and exposed/processed a roll of FP4 in it. I don't think the automatic exposure was working because the results were very inconsistent. The battery (containing mercury) was dud so I took the camera to a dealer, who told me that the camera was unsaleable. Make enquiries before purchase!
Old 10th September 2020, 08:18 AM
Friend

The 35T is a manual camera with a match-needle meter. It'll still work if you use an external meter. And you could try Brian Mickleboro to see if a service doesn't fix it.

Last edited by Collas; 10th September 2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10th September 2020, 01:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I bought a Rollei 35T from a market stall for £15 and exposed/processed a roll of FP4 in it. I don't think the automatic exposure was working because the results were very inconsistent. The battery (containing mercury) was dud so I took the camera to a dealer, who told me that the camera was unsaleable. Make enquiries before purchase!
This is an excellent little camera with a very sharp, contrasty Tessar lens. No need to bin it or sell it. As Nick said, it's all-mechanical, manual exposure, match needle metering. There are no auto functions.
It will work without a battery.

Re. mercury batteries, there are several inexpensive adaptors available out there which convert cheap and available button cells for use in such devices. A quick web search will turn up a few options.

Or you can try using a button cell directly in the camera without an adaptor. You may need to wrap it in a turn or two of electrical tape to make it fit, and the voltage will not be the same as the Hg cell, but many meters will not be affected by this and will meter correctly. If the one in your Rollei doesn't, then you might be able to adjust using the ISO setting (assuming the error is linear). I presently use button cells in my 35SE and they work perfectly without compensation (different battery entirely than the 35T, but regardless, it is possible to do). Again, a web search will turn up several forum posts with solutions for you.

Here's a start:
http://rolleirepairs.com/r35-batt.htm

Hope this helps.

PS - £15 for a 35T is a steal! They are in high demand now, and sell on the used market (at least here) for C$350 and up.

Last edited by Svend; 10th September 2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10th September 2020, 01:50 PM
Friend

Out of stock, unfortunately, but this is the battery that will work.

https://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_mrb625.htm

Or there is the adapter route, though as this costs twice the price of the camera…

https://www.smallbattery.company.org...r9_adapter.htm
Old 10th September 2020, 02:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
Or there is the adapter route, though as this costs twice the price of the camera…

https://www.smallbattery.company.org...r9_adapter.htm
...or 1/10th the price of the camera at the present market value , depending on your perspective. Either way, £45 total investment in a 35T is still a heck of a deal.
Old 10th September 2020, 08:22 PM
Friend

Here is a link to the best site I have found for a suitable battery adaptor.

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf

They sell do it yourself kits of parts, and also give you practical instructions to make one with locally sourced components.
Plenty of technical information as well if you are interested.

I printed a copy out for myself for fear of losing such a valuable site.

Cheers.
Old 11th September 2020, 01:01 PM
Friend

That's a great resource Nat. Thanks for finding and sharing that.
Old 11th September 2020, 01:47 PM
Friend

I don't know if this is any help re batterys, I have 2 srt101's that take the 625 mercury battery, I have found that the modern 625, although of a higher voltage, works fine by altering the asa number (ISO) I rate Fomapan 400 at 250 in all my other cameras and my Weston euromasters, and also the sekonic incident meter I have, but by setting the asa on the cameras to 200 they meter perfectly, match's my euromasters sekonic and my Minolta dynax's set to 250 exactly, so maybe you could use the modern 625's in your rollei, just alter the asa setting until the exposure matches a hand held or other camera's Exposure,s It was our local camera repair man that gave me the tip, he said he could alter the meter to work with the modern 625 batterys, or I could use hearing aid battery's with some sort of adaptor, or re set the asa settings, I tried the 200 instead of 250, and the meter's work fine always spot on,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies