Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st March 2021, 12:23 PM
Friend

Default Minimum Order Amount required by Fotoimpex

Just a "heads up" for those here who intend to order directly from Fotoimpex in Berlin

Based on a comment from Adox( who either are or use Fotoimpex as the store for their products) who was responding to a directly question of mine, it would appear that since leaving the EU the cost of the new bureaucracy to export small orders to individual customers in the U.K. has meant that the new minimum order now has to be £135 to make it worth Fotoimpex's while to execute it

So yes the days when it might have been as easy to Adox paper and chemicals and have them arrive almost as quickly as those from say Ag or Process Supplies have not only gone but there is now the matter of the order being £135 minimum

However the slightly better news is that as the larger retailers in the U.K. such as Ag or Process Supplies and other retailers whose orders at a time may well run into the many £100s will not be affected except possibly by the time needed to raise the paperwork and what appears to be a "stickiness " at the ports

While not wishing to make a political point in anyway it is very clear that the former easy, cheap and frictionless way we used to be able to order from EU suppliers has gone completely

In case anyone is interested my question arose as part of Adox's announcement its alternative to Kodak Xtol which as those of us who are users of this developer has had its recent problems

Mike
Old 21st March 2021, 12:57 PM
Friend

I too had a problem with an item bought on ebay UK, from a German seller.

They refunded me in total, and said that it was now too much work to send even a single item to the UK.

Terry S
Old 21st March 2021, 01:06 PM
Friend

I've been stung by import charges on purchases from the UK.
An Aviar lens at £39, postage £9 and import charges of £12.

I'm not overly concerned about minimum orders as most of my orders run into the hundreds. It's the extra import charges on top that make the price difference to me.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950

Last edited by MartyNL; 21st March 2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 21st March 2021, 03:23 PM
Friend

A seller of astronomical bits and pieces, based close to the Baltic Sea has an interesting notice on their web site.
See the link below.

https://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoo...hlight=AB10387

I have purchased from this company a few times. The service was fantastic and delivered two days after ordering from the Baltic area.
It's a sorry state of affairs for many small businesses at the present time.
Doing my best to keep off the subjects of politicians and politics.

Cheer.
Old 21st March 2021, 04:17 PM
Friend

Yes we can but hope that Astroboot's hopes are fulfilled

Again this is not a political statement but clearly there is a post divorce tetchiness in the immediate aftermath of the U.K. leaving the EU which, I fear, may get worse or only remain as is for the immediate foreseeable future

Mike
Old 21st March 2021, 04:48 PM
Friend

Here is the full statement on the FotoImpex site:

Unfortunately for our beloved british customers BREXIT will increase the shipping tarifs. The UK is now a non-EU country which means we cannot avoid a dreadfull customs procedure. The following changes appply for our UK customers starting January 1st 2021:

+ Only slightly increased shipping costs (hurray!)
+ Customs procedure can be declared at the post office (thumbs up!)

- The minimum order size has to be >170 EUR because there is a tax declaration threshold imposed by the british government which is prohibitively bureaucratic.

You cannot check out with lower values.
- Slightly longer shipping times
- Slightly lower service in transport (UK Postal Service after Dover instead of DHL)
- Dangerous goods can no longer be shipped

We are working on an option for offering the old pre-Brexit level of service (DHL Europack) which has been running extremely well in the past decade.

However this now calls for a full customs declaration so there will 24 EUR´s of added paper completion costs to each parcel because of this.
Our solution above does not have these extra costs because you can declare at the post office.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 21st March 2021, 07:12 PM
Friend

David so translating this into how this affects the U.K. customer

He has to order at least 170 euros of stuff but the additional cost of full Customs Declaration is avoided by the U.K. customer declaring it at his post office?

So does Adox address the U.K. customer's parcel to the nearest U.K. post office that is equipped to handle the U.K. customer's declaration which involves the customer being notified that an EU good parcel has arrives for him and will him to sign a declaration form before being given the parcel or does the Parcel Post section of the Royal Mail deliver it to the customer's address and requires him to sign a declaration at his door without any charge to the customer?

I wonder what constitutes "dangerous goods"? Does the Fotoimpex site have a list of these prohibited goods and can I take it that such a list can be sent to other countries in the EU and prohibition applies on to export to the U.K. or is the list of dangerous goods collect only for all customers irrespective of their country of origin i.e. a customer in Cologne for instance cannot receive dangerous goods either unless he want to drive to Berlin?

Thanks

Mike
Old 21st March 2021, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
David so translating this into how this affects the U.K. customer

He has to order at least 170 euros of stuff but the additional cost of full Customs Declaration is avoided by the U.K. customer declaring it at his post office?

So does Adox address the U.K. customer's parcel to the nearest U.K. post office that is equipped to handle the U.K. customer's declaration which involves the customer being notified that an EU good parcel has arrives for him and will him to sign a declaration form before being given the parcel or does the Parcel Post section of the Royal Mail deliver it to the customer's address and requires him to sign a declaration at his door without any charge to the customer?
I think it just means Fotoimpex can fill in a form at their post office rather than have to make a detailed customs export procedure to their government's equivalent of HMRC, saving them 24EUR. You may still get hit with VAT and import duty, I am not sure. The UK Govt requires companies exporting to the UK be registered for VAT in the UK which is causing a lot of problems. Those that have registered should however not be charging their own VAT on top so make sure you are not getting hit by that too.

Last edited by Bob; 21st March 2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 21st March 2021, 07:48 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,

you only get the warning when using the checkout in English and with the UK as destination. Therefore, I can't read a German version to work out if something has been lost in translation. As to what is classified as 'dangerous goods' I think this varies with every country and, more specifically, their rules relating to post / parcel services. I would think that, now the UK is not part of the EU, the definition of what constitutes 'dangerous goods' and what taxes / customs charges any particular item will attract will be controlled by HMRC.

Currently, Wolfgang Moersch's website does not have any warnings about new customs rules but a more general blanket warning that no products can be shipped outside of the EU.

In relation to the new customs situation, I recently had to send a parcel to the UK and was required to complete a customs declaration including value of contents plus pay double the previous DHL price.

Perhaps if there are enough people on FADU who regularly buy from FotoImpex, then people could club together and do a bulk order?

Bests,

David.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 21st March 2021, 08:57 PM
Friend

Default Import and VAT

I case you are not aware.

The prices charged by the dealers on the continent should not include their VAT, because we are not in the EU and they are not obliged to charge it. If they do, it will go straight into their back pockets! This will make a bit of a difference when you have to pay import duty when it arrives in UK. Their rate of VAT (Umsatzsteuer or merwertstaur) is currently 19%

Last edited by John King; 21st March 2021 at 09:02 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies