Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th February 2011, 09:29 PM
Friend

Default What’s your system?

When I have exposed a 35mm film, I rip the leader off, thus identifying it for me as exposed, as opposed to unexposed. What systems do other FADU members use?
Old 20th February 2011, 09:35 PM
Friend

Once I've finished a film I place it back in the plastic tub and number it. This way if I shoot several films that day, I'll know in what order they were exposed. An unexposed roll will remain in its original box until I'm ready to use it.
Old 20th February 2011, 09:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
When I have exposed a 35mm film, I rip the leader off, thus identifying it for me as exposed, as opposed to unexposed. What systems do other FADU members use?
May sound like a silly question, but why don't you just rewind it all back into the canister?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 20th February 2011, 10:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
May sound like a silly question, but why don't you just rewind it all back into the canister?
When I load the spiral, I insert about 6” of film (wasted when loading the film) past the bulb bearings of the spiral in daylight. In that way I can wind the rest in, in total darkness, whether in a bag or in a totally dark room. If I wound the film back in the cassette, I would have to use a film lead extractor to get the end back.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:12 PM
Friend

Clive, I fold the leader so creasing it, that way I know its been exposed.

Marty, I too prefer to prevent the leader from completely re-winding. Back in the darkroom I cut the leader offer and introduce the start of the film to the Paterson spiral. Might as well do what you can in the light before continuing winding the rest of the film in darkness.

I see Clive does like wise
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers

Last edited by Trevor Crone; 20th February 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: bring post up to date
Old 20th February 2011, 10:17 PM
Friend

I always rip off the leader on 35mm too, taught to do it by a press photographer in the 1970s who couldn't afford mistakes.When I haven't I've made the rare mistake, like on one occasion double exposing one roll and having a blank after developing another.

I do sometimes mark the first roll shot if I'm test developing. This will generally be unimportant shots as when push processing.

Never rewound back into the cassette.

I use stainless steel tanks and spirals.
Old 20th February 2011, 10:21 PM
Friend

I always rewind the film into the canister and then write on the canister with a Sharpie pen (I always carry at least one at all times). Hence I know whether my HP5/Neopan 400 is box speed or pushed, as well as what the film subject is.

Charlie
www.charlie-chan.co.uk
Old 21st February 2011, 07:08 AM
Friend

I bend the leader, and keep the exposed outside the plastic tub,film stored in the plastic tub=unexposed, film out of tub creased leader exposed,Richard
Old 21st February 2011, 07:14 AM
Friend

Default My System

I usually write on the casettes what the film contains, or at least the dates it was started & finished. I keep record of each film I expose.
I make note of camera settings & filtration & sometimes what lens was in use.
Thus I would have a casette marked "ILFORD P4 No 12. 30 EXPOSURES. 400ASA.
I really should carry a pencil stub to mark the film numbers or one with indelible ink and mark them on site, rather than before or after the shoot.
You cannot tear the leader tongue off as it is Polyester base film.
With that I twist the tongue & bend it back on itself, the damage denoting it has been through the camera. On any other film i'd tear the tongue off, then at home I trim the film into a 'V' shape to load the Patterson spirals.
All my re-usable casettes have paper labels on which I pencil in the essential details, as do their plastic pots. The pot for Ilford P4 #12 will have more details of the subject matter, if there's room.
Old 21st February 2011, 07:26 AM
Friend

Plastic tub with piece of masking tape on outside for notes etc.
I don't know whether anyone else finds this, but my leaders generally look like they've been bent on insertion into the take-up spool anyway . .
Phil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies